50000 dogs = 3 Humans, the new Chinese math.

I hear pigs are more intelligent than horses, rabbits and dogs but we eat them anyway. So why the double standard? It is because rabbits, dogs and horses are cuter than pigs.

I thought that too. In addition, isn’t beating rather messy? Wouldn’t it leave blood and gore for scavengers (like rats) to gobble up and spread more disease?

Wow! You’re revolting!

“We” meaning Americans.

Rabbit is common in Europe as well as horsemeat. My girlfriend, from the Phillipines, has eaten dog.

Not everyone has these hangups. I dearly wish to eat horse some day. Unfortunately, it seems I may have to leave the US to do so.

This seems more like some kind of “don’t let the people have pets” measure than “save the people from rabies.” And I would think it would take more effort and money to beat these dogs to death and dispose of their supposedly infected bodies than it would to just vaccinate them.

BluePitbull: while wild-running pigs may be another matter, pigs found on the farms where I grew up don’t come across as particularly smart. (Just my experience.)

I think you might be right. I never did understand how or why a farm pig would be selected for intelligence. I retract my previous statement about pig intelligence.

No. It’s because so many people dont believe or accept how smart pigs are. It’s not always about looks. . .
Rabbits are probably the cutest thing on your list, and people hunt and eat them all the time in America. (well at least when they’re in season)

Are whales cute? Most people dont think they have any sort of “cuteness” quality at all. But it’s pretty well accepted in America that they are supersmart mystical mammals, so we tend to agree that killing them is wrong. Dolphins just happen to be smart AND cute. Blue whales are not cute, yet we give them the same regards as dolphins.

Baby cows are kinda cute–most baby mammals are–but people dont care that they’re slaughtered for veal. That’s because people tend to believe they’re just dumb food animals.
So intelligence and self-awareness have much more to do with popular opinion than cuteness. Smart= Dont Kill. Cute is irrelevant if the animal is viewed as dumb and it tastes good!

YOu “dearly wish to eat horse some day”? WTF kind of retarded wish is that?

Fair enough-sorry 'bout that. Considering SOME of the outrageous statements in this thread, you never can tell.

:wink:

Bear_Nenno-blue whales stopped being hunted because they were endangered, IIRC.

I hate to give the OP some more stress, but the fact is eating dogs, particularly St Bernards is getting to be quite popular in China.

The Japanese eat dolphins

Moron.

Cruelty is not a question of what purposes we use the animal for, it’s a question of how the animal is treated. There’s a good argument to be made that bashing the dogs to death constitutes cruelty, but if the mode of killing is humane then it’s no more cruel to kill a dog than to kill a chicken.

You might argue, as you have, that it’s more acceptable to kill a chicken, but that’s not the same as the issue of cruelty. There are, after all, plenty of people who think that killing cows and pigs and chickens for human consumption is perfectly acceptable, but who still oppose the use of cruel methods in raising and killing those animals.

The fact that you seem unable to grasp these concepts says much about your intelligence.

Actually, i was making a comment on the types of products that a jerkoff like you would be most likely to have a use for.

You can refer back to it all you like; it’s still a moronic argument.

I don’t see that it’s especially different from the wish to try any other type of food.

If i had never tried, say, bacon, and expressed a wish to eat some, would you say that it was a retarded wish? If not, why is horse any different?

What’s wrong with it? I’d like to try rabbit someday, even though I used to raise them for show. Its about trying new things and experiences. As stated, horses used to be considered good eatin’, and bunnies too.

:confused: I thought horse meat had a reputation for being rather tough. (Or is that just old horses?)

Really. I was under the impression that horsemeat was a joke-that NO ONE in their right mind, would choose to eat it, because it’s unappetizing as hell.

Actually horsemeat can be quite good. I’ve tried it as sausage and steak (in France) as well as raw (in Japan). The raw meat has a very pleasant flavor.

I’d say it was retarded if he expressed it as “I dearly wish to eat bacon some day”. It’s the overly dramtic phrasing that amuses me.

BJ, for that tangential reference, and especially that bolded bit, you have been invited… you cunt.

Of course it is cheaper to bludgeon the dogs to death.
Shooting them costs bullets, injecting them costs … death-stuff.
Bludgeoning just costs man-power (which I don’t think they are short of in China) and a pole of some sort (a treebranch will work fine).
It is all about economics.

NOTE: I am putting a link or two at the end of this posting. The reason I am not putting them here is because some people might click on them and then wish they had not. The links describe a current and illegal practice in South Korea.

Now that that’s out of the way, may I suggest that you never ever come to South Korea. There is a thriving business, although it is illegal, in serving dog and cat. There is nothing at all nice in the way it’s done.

If that’s the way the animals are treated routinely for food, then I would not be surprised at all how horribly an animal mandated by law to die would meet its fate.

Good people run this organization:
Korean Animal Protection Society Home

From the link above, you can click on video clips and see the following: Dog hanging; Sungnam dog market; Three dog markets; ITN News coverage.

In Defense of Animals’ page about dog abuse in Korea.

“It’s Their Destiny,” a website that points out the blatant lies about this abuse here. Someone’s Jack Russell appears in a cage. One of the lies is that it’s difficult to find places that serve dog meat. Well, if you’re looking for a place that advertises “Dog meat for sale!” then, yes, it’s difficult. On the other hand, if you’re looking for a place that advertises the euphimism for dog meat (“Bo-Shin Tang”/“Health Promotion Stew” IIRC), then all you have to do is walk into any neighborhood in any city and go to such a restaurant.