7.9-Magnitude Earthquake Near Kathmandu

It is good news! I’m sure they’re are so many who lost family or who haven’t heard from anyone. She is lucky.

just read

Nepal-Earthquake Warning story

http://news.yahoo.com/experts-gathered-nepal-week-ago-ready-earthquake-050003819.html

which stated that lots of densely populated people living in substandard buildings (before a now weak building code existed) were at risk. mention of that inheritance laws required property to be divided equally and that to get living space the people added living space building vertically.

The family received word late last night, from a 3rd party, that the three brothers are fine. Apparently they are at a spot just below basecamp and are unable to descend. They will need to continue up to basecamp for the time being. Whomever they spoke to said it might be awhile until they are able to make it down.

Sorry they’re stuck but glad to hear they are ok!

I believe they were going to spend a month anyway, so they have the necessary supplies. It will be a hell of story I’m sure.

Yeah, the Kathmandu Valley is one of my favorite places in the world, up there with Hawaii. I know what you mean about 2000-year-old statues on every street. Every time we’d turn a corner, we’d see one no matter how small the street and often with people’s laundry drying on it!

Looks like it may have been 7.8 magnitude after all. The reports seems to have settled on that number now. And the death toll has passed 3200.

I’m curious how so much stuff survived the 1934 earthquake if it was indeed worse. Was it deeper? They say the devastation for this one is so bad because it was so close to the surface.

I have a good friend whose husband is Nepalese. As it happens, the entire family in Nepal were together for some kind of family celebration when the earthquake struck. So, with one phone call my friend and her husband were able to ascertain that 100% of their relatives living in Nepal were okay. They are all living on the matriarch’s lawn at the moment.

My son’s best friend just spent about 4 months living in Nepal studying Buddhism. I can’t imagine how frantic we’d be if he were there now (he’s only 16). Thank god he left a couple of weeks ago.

Wife’s family has made it down to Dingboche. they will be staying there for the time being. From their communications it seems the full scope of the tragedy isn’t widely known there.

My student just emailed me. Her family just got rocked by a huge aftershock. They’re getting pretty desperate there for food, water and shelter. She said her friends are feeling hopeless. Awful.

They’ve had another large quake.

Dozens more dead. :frowning:

And the death toll from the first quake is not 800; it is now 8,000