$900 million lottery--why did you buy a ticket?

No, you’re absolutely wrong. You don’t seem to understand how Powerball works - the odds never change*. I believe there have been occasions in the past where a group bought out every possible combination in order to guarantee a win. The problem is, in addition to the lump sum reduction and tax issues I mentioned, even when you’re guaranteed to win the jackpot (by buying all number combinations), you run the risk that someone else will also have the winning numbers, forcing you to split the pot, and shattering the return you were expecting on the investment. That’s still a serious risk.
*A few months ago, they changed the nature of the game by increasing the range of possible number picks, which did of course change (lower) the odds of winning. But that is a rare occurrence; it’s not something that happens on the fly.

Yes you are right. However, the expected value of a ticket doesn’t exceed the purchase price of one.

I’ll let Rigamarole’s answer stand for the first part, but your second part won’t happen either, for several reasons:

1. No way to print all of the tickets - There are over 292 million number combinations and the drawings are only 72 (Wed - Sat) and 98 (Sat-Wed) hours apart. That means one would have to print 69,212 tickets per second in the former case and 51,909 per second in the latter. To put that in context, the last minute ticket frenzy for the just passed drawing peaked with machines system wide only printing 2,167 per second.

2. If the pot is split, which is a very good possibility, the syndicate loses. Too risky.

There’s a whole discussion about this going on in GQ. Any group going all-in could have the tickets pre-printed. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone started preparing for a pot like this back when they lowered the odds months ago, and they end up winning on Wednesday.

This here. I know damn well I’d better not, and have said so in several threads - but, damnitall, I’m only human, and literally have two bucks in quarters in my pocket. Must…not…must…not…

Yes, and post #33 in that thread bears out what I say:

Prebuying, even if allowed, wouldn’t help unless you could be sure that the pot would be big enough at some future time.