A bunch of questions from a potential newcomer

You left out the best part!

:D:D:D

But it really is timely. For a city-run organization. :smiley:

But seriously, you’re right. If you need the book NOW, you have to get it yourself. I read for pleasure or general information, and I don’t have papers to write for a course or similar needs. So 2-3 weeks for things not on hold or not checked out is okay with me. CDs have a similar wait. DVDs take much longer in my experience.

But for me the change from actual card catalogs to online is incredible. Catalogs and lots of other info online, including the OED, Proquest newspapers, Chicago Tribune historical archives back into the 1800s! William F. Buckley did a paid endorsement for print ads for one of the first unabridged dictionaries on CD-ROM. Here it is in its entirety: “It’s a bloody miracle!” And that’s ancient history in the PC/Internet world!

LOL, my apologies. I use that wonderful line all the time, though I re-purpose it for whatever:

I would never ask for ketchup on *my *hot dog. But, I have other, equally vile perversions in other areas of my life. So I would feel hypocritical if I were to castigate someone for ordering ketchup on *their *hot dog. Hey, it’s their lunch, not mine. We all have the God-given right to be de-classe. Like my Speidel Twist-O-Flex.

I should know if I’m moving by February.

Any comments, positive or negative on the Reside apartment communities? They seems to pop up quite a lot in my apartment searches.

Also, besides Domu and craigslist, are there any other good places to start apartment hunting from a distance? Also, if you know of any good websites on the Chicagoland area, that would be of use as well.

There are a number of apartment companies that are paid for by the landlord who will take you around to various properties. I used Apartment Finders when I was renting out a property I own in Lakeview. Worked out very well for me and I had a tenant for three years. Right now it’s a landlord’s market though so you may need to look at a lot of different places.

I suggest you start in Lakeview/Lincoln Park as a way to ease into Chicagoland.

As for good websites on Chicago.

Time Out has a decent website and the Chicago Reader should as well.