A Canticle for Leibowitz

(partial thread hijack)

A great book. And to anyone who enjoyed it, consider RIDDLEY WALKER by Russell Hoban. A very different look at a post-apocalyptic world.
Warning: RW is hard to read but it is absolutely worth it. It is written in English after English has been oral for five hundred years, so the first sentence is:

“On my naming day when I come 12 I gone front spear and kilt a wyld boar he parbly ben the las wyld pig on the Bundel Downs any how there hadnt ben none for a long time befor him nor I aint lookin to see none agen.”

As you can see, Latin won’t help you here.

Fifteen Iguana

(hijack over)

First read it as one of my choices in High School ESL classes. Couldn’t get enough of it. Reread it over 10 years later (after hearing the radioplay), it was still good.

There’s not just the religious/philosophical themes, but also the exploration of evolution of societies and nations. Some passing familiarity with (traditional, old-fashioned) Catholicism facilitates some passages (and gives one sequence near the end all the more impact!) but is not essential.

LiquidLobotomy, I can only say I worry that you will get too many glowing endorsements … never mind us but do give it a chance.

I don’t think you’ll find anybody who’s read this who doesn’t think it’a a great read. I’ve read it several times.

I’m an atheist, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. No Latin necessary, Catholic background helpful.

2nd book will disappoint you if you’re looking for more of the same. It’s VERY different, more difficult, and for me, not as satisfying. Still interesting in its own right, though.