A couple questions about crossword puzzles

I’ll tell ya who I became familiar with working Saturday NYT crosswords: the Essenes.

I have an old collection of Margaret Farrar puzzles, and they are full of obscure Javanese islands, Bulgarian railroad stops and rare birds. My mother-in-law did these puzzles with a crossword dictionary nearby - those things shouldn’t be necessary once you’ve built up a good modern crosswordese vocabulary.
My desire for Games is much less since Will moved to the Times. He’s even running interesting variety puzzles on Sunday these days.

I have considered a thread abut this gent many times. Mr. Shortz, you are awesome.

Those itty bitty birds referred to above have a certain kinship with a mountain range in Wyoming, unless I miss my guess.

And the back up chorus in The Beatles Girl, as well…

I’ve tried, but I don’t have the mind for crossword puzzles. I personally prefer word searches and sudoku.

ROFL!

A genus of seabird has a synonymous name (5 letters).

Done! Got 95%. Well, I do live under a rock. That was fun!

…“so be kind to your blue-footed friends…”

A flock of them would be the itty bitty birdy committee.

It’s always a tweet seeing you two.

The writers write the words first, then do the clues.

And we do the opposite. It is very interesting.

Oh, for goodness sake. The word is

No, I’d never heard of it without “mouse” at the end, either.

I’ve always got a chuckle from Spike Milligan’s “Crossword for Idiots”. It consists of one white square, with a figure 1 in the corner. Clues: 1 across, “The indefinite article”. 1 down, “First letter of the alphabet”.

Hahahaaahahaha!

Okay, here’s an example of what I’m talking about … today, the Washington Post and L.A. Times crosswords both had “class trip” as an answer. It doesn’t have a lot of vowels. It’s not “oreo.” :confused:

I remember Venezuelan copper center (Aroa) used to be a common clue.

They didn’t pay me so I published their D-Day plans :slight_smile:

Todays lunacy: “Weakness in numbers”
Answer: Fewness :smack: :rolleyes: