A&E suspends Phil Robertson over anti-gay remarks

This is playing itself out in the private market. Let the principals fight this out amongst themselves. Heaven forbid the world be denied access to Duck Dynasty in any way…

Can someone get the entire Kardashian Klan to say something like this? Please?

:smiley: My thoughts exactly.

He’s right, though, that if we look at societies with a strong Christian element (antebellum South, Mexico in the 16 century, Sudan, Europe during the Crusades), we find a model of pacifism and humane relationships among people.

He more or less paraphrased what the theology of damn near EVERY Christian denomination says.

He didn’t advocate violence. He didn’t say anything particularly hateful- he just said that he doesn’t understand something, and that he believes it to be sinful.

Just because you don’t like it doesn’t make it hate speech. Had he said he thought they should be stoned or burned or advocated something else, then you’d be onto something, but the guy was just stating his rather mainstream Christian opinion when it comes down to it.

His political comments about comparative religions are off-base, but hardly that bad- again, not hateful or violent, just off-base.

He didn’t say it mitigated anything.

I’m surprised his recollections of how blacks were much happier and never complained back in the good ol’ days of Jim Crow haven’t gotten more attention.

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field…. They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!… Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

There are a lot of christian denominations that have no problems with gay people and those that do, I also consider offensive. If your theology considers gay people offensive, then I consider it offensive. I never said you have to.

Please. It’s offensive to include gays in a list of sinners, period. Whether or not he’s drawing equivalencies is irrelevant.

Kinda of interesting to me too. Probably because it is just so :smack::smack::smack: stupid and indefensible, yet there are people who fervently believe that homosexuality is a sin and they’re trying to defend his (and their) beliefs rather than this bit.

Well, I’m on all kinds of sinner lists, and it doesn’t offend me one bit. Why would you care what someone else thinks is a sin?

I’m waiting for him to get an invite to attend the Winter Olympics as a guest of Putin…strange bedfellows and all.

I see what you did there…

Yeah? What sins do you do that could run you the risk of getting fired from your job even in America? How many countries will execute you for these sins? The antagonism towards homosexuality fanned by these sorts of comments is dangerous and hurtful and I’m not particularly inclined to give people a pass just because they’ve got a tatter of religion to cover their bigotry with.

Just because you choose to be offended doesn’t make something offensive.

of·fen·sive
adjective
adjective: offensive

causing someone to feel deeply hurt, upset, or angry.

No one is asking you to give anyone a pass. But if you want to be offended because someone said homosexuality is a sin, knock yourself out. You can find someone like that everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

His comments, kind of like the Chick-fil-a owner’s comments, didn’t really surprise, offend or upset me. Of course, I’m not gay so I don’t guess that they would. But what does grind my gears is the reaction of the Phil and Chick-fil-a supporters, the pouring out of support for such statements is to me the most depressing part of it. Thinly veiled attempts to disguise their opinion as just supporting free speech, when it really does seem like they are just promoting the social tolerance to hate gays.

That + the xenophobic remarks I’m really surprised aren’t getting more attention. Have we as a society basically just given up and accepted that blatant, heavy racism is A-OK?

I’m offended by you quoting a dictionary. Do not do that again or I will have you fired for offensive language.

There’s also the admission that he beat up a man and a woman in the 1970s, and when offered a chance to apologize in the interview, refused to do it, citing that his religious beliefs have changed him so much he is literally a different person and doesn’t have to apologize for that other guy.

No shit:

I will tell you, on the FB posts where I’ve been talking about this, the above has done the best to shut up the right-wingers. Just ask them “what part of Jesus’s teachings allow a man to beat up a woman and then not apologize for it?” I was accused of being a “keyboard bully” after that last one.

I can’t imagine being deeply hurt, upset or angry by anything said by anyone who is a star of a reality show called Duck Dynasty. YMMV.