A few thanksgiving tips.

Rumor has it that our Walmart is engaged in all sorts of nefarious, behind-the-scenes pressure tactics to keep Target out! (We may be too small for a Target, but no town is ever too small for a rumor mill, apparently.)

Thanksgiving is an easy holiday to cook. Don’t overdo it. Every “staple” isn’t too difficult, most can be made in advance. None of your guests need six kinds of potatos, two rice dishes, three salads (not including the “jello salad”), green beans AND brussel sprouts - and unless you have twenty guests coming over all wanting to bring something - you don’t either.

And - perhaps too late for this year - if any of your guests feel “it isn’t Thanksgiving without pecan pie” (for some reason, our Thanksgiving is pumpkin and pecan pies), they can bring it - or host next year.

Mike, thanks for this. I came into this forum today specifically to look for tips from you. I followed your suggestion last year on keeping the turkey’s breast cool with a bag of ice and it worked really well.

I’m off now to chop my onions and celery, make the cranberry sauce and the pies. Tomorrow will be a breeze!

Gaaa. Seriously? They did a big thing about mise en place on KUOW (local NPR channel) last weekend. I mean really? You’re going to devote 15 minutes to a story about common sense? So for the last twenty years I’ve been cooking and using common sense and forethought all of a sudden has a fancy French name. Meh. Whatever. Not sure why, but the fact there is a phrase for this makes me irrationally angry.

Good OP. The drink table is an excellent idea. If you don’t have a separate fridge for drinks (like in the garage or basement) you definitely need to get the drinks out of the kitchen. Otherwise everyone just ends up hanging out in the kitchen.

My mother always planned out what serving piece would hold what food. She placed little slips of paper in the mashed potato bowl, the squash bowl, etc. It informed any helpful soul who assisted with serving (although I can’t imagine anyone confusing a turkey platter for a gravy boat). I always half expected to eat a paper tag labeled “stuffing” while chowing down.

Per family tradition, I never host Thanksgiving (though I do a big turkey dinner for Christmas). So my best tip is for folks who are guests rather than hosts: bring a flask of vodka, or other spirit of choice. You never know when a little nip will help you over some uncomfortable moment. Offer to wash dishes, or serve pie to the football fans, or whatever – but don’t hesitate to spike your cider to make it all a bit easier.

instead of panko i use mashed up ritz crackers.

Wash and dry all your dishtowels and dishrags the morning of Thanksgiving. They will all be wet again by the time dinner is over. And stock up on paper towels. :wink:

I do a lot the day before. I toasted the stuffing bread before hand like always. I will saute the celery and onions first thing, but the giblets and turkey stock have already been made and cooked. I made the apple pie and cornbread. I attempted some homemade canned cranberry sauce, but I think I wasn’t successful, so I will offer the canned along with the homemade portion that worked. The potatoes need to be peeled and mashed, but mainly I think I’m good for tomorrow. We don’t have a big crowd though.

Here’s a thanksgiving tip I wish I knew last night:

Don’t put potato peels, especially sweet potato peels, down the garbage disposal.

They turn into a starchy goo that sets right in the drain trap. I tried vinegar and baking soda, boiling water, and a plunger to no avail. Finally I went to a 24hr CVS at about 1AM and got a bottle of Draino gel and poured it all down down there and this morning it was still backed up. I had to take off the trap and drain the sink into a series of buckets, which was extra exciting with a whole bottle of draino in the mix and no rubber gloves anywhere to be found.

A clogged garbage disposal spewing redish-pinkish water full of tiny particulate chunks of food out mater out into the sink with stunning velocity looks remarkably like the garbage disposal is throwing up. Not movie throw-up, real throw-up.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Matzo meal also is very good.
Excellent user/post name combo!