[QUOTE=Merneith]
featherlou - I think you and others are right to emphasize that CBT can, in some cases (maybe even lots of cases), provide good results without needing drugs. But each individual needs to find the right individual solution. It’s part of what makes treating mental health issues so tough, that there’s help to be had but no magic bullets.
<snip>
[/QUOTE]
Good post altogether.
This part is absolutely right, but the point I want to make that gets overlooked almost completely when traditional doctors treat anxiety is that there is more to treatment than strong medications for the rest of your life. Most people agree that the combination of CBT plus meds is the most efficacious; the problem is that people are getting only the meds. There is still a lot of controversy over whether all people with an anxiety disorder can recover completely and not need any medication for it again. A therapist I saw for a short time made what is probably the best comment on this; try the CBT, see how far you get, and assess where you are at that point. Another thing to remember in recovering from anxiety is that you will feel anxiety when recovering; it is necessary, because you need to feel that anxiety and realize that it truly isn’t hurting you, and it won’t hurt you. It’s just an emotion - it can’t hurt you. Chronic anxiety feels terrible, and it’s not something that you want more of in your life, but it won’t hurt you.
gigi, I’m not willing to call anxiety disorders a disease. Anxiety is a normal human emotion like happiness or sadness; people with anxiety disorders think incorrectly about things, develop mal-adjusted coping skills (like avoidances) and scare themselves. I don’t think you can recover from a disease by changing the way you think and behave; I consider myself recovered from my long-term anxiety disorder and I did it by doing those things.
I know that doctors want to say that anxiety disorders are caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain; it’s interesting to note that thinking positive thoughts stimulates the same part of the brain that selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors appear to stimulate. It’s a chicken-and-egg argument, too; if you are having anxiety every day, maybe you do reduce the level of serotonin in your brain. Which came first - the anxiety every day, or the reduced level of serotonin? Doctors hold fast to the belief that your serotonin levels dropped, and that’s why you’re having anxiety. People espousing methods of treatment like CBT would more likely say that you developed habits of thinking and acting negatively, and these chronic negative influences in your life eventually lowered your serotonin levels. If medication works for you to reduce your anxiety, that is good. Medications are not harmless, however, and not free, and not necessary for everyone with anxiety. If there is a way to produce the same results as medication without the dangers and the cost, I personally think that is also a good thing.
I’m not going to try to drag anyone kicking and screaming away from their Paxil and Xanax; I just want the message to get out that there is more to anxiety treatment than taking drugs. Maybe when the drugs stop working for you (if they’re actually working now; Dr. David Burns suggests that the effects of SSRIs can be attributed to the placebo effect), remember about CBT and look into it then. There has also been at least one drug for anxiety/depression taken off the market due to its being linked to liver failure (Serzone, the drug I was on for a long time). These drugs aren’t mother’s milk.
I should also mention that I realize that I am a stranger on a message board, telling you controversial and new, scary things. I can supply cites for everything I am telling you, however; I studied everything I could find on anxiety disorders for a couple of years. I certainly know what it’s like to live with one, and I also know what it’s like to recover from one. If anyone wants to email me, please feel free to do so. I work with a self-help/support group here in Calgary weekly, and I have no problem helping anyone else who wants it.