A Movie That Might Change Your Life . . .

I will second that: CT, HD was indeed awesome.

Why would anyone go see Left Behind when Head over Heels is opening this weekend? That Freddy Prinze Jr., he’s so dreamy.

Quix

P.S. CT:HD was so overrated. Decent, but not tremendous.

You missed “God, The Devil & Bob,” with Jim Garner as God and French Stewart as BobSo did everybody else, except me. Once. Then I joined the herd and missed the rest.

It was not nearly as funny as your version.

I thought the quote from Tombstone was, “I’m your huckleberry.” It’s possible the original reference was something else entirely.

That was the first time he said it, when the outlaws show upat Wyatt’s bar. The quote is from the scene when Doc Holiday kills the gunslinger (the gunslinger was expecting Wyatt Earp, but Doc intervened) near the end of the movie.

Nope, stuffinb.

The dialogue in that scene is:

Johnny Ringo: “Well, I didn’t think you had it in you!”
Doc Holliday: “I’m your huckleberry.”

Trust me…I’ve seen the movie around 20 times. (I love Val Kilmer and Michael Biehn. So sue me. :))

LOL! Well, I’m glad I still have the ability to start lengthy threads over here :smiley: Thanks for welcoming me back everyone.

I couldn’t agree more. And I will even give you all this: Left Behind is not by any stretch the best it could have been, IMHO. Many of us who support the movie are encouraging Cloud Ten to do significantly better next time. Remember, I gave it a 6/7 out of 10, not a 9 out of 10.

Having said that, I would not be supporting this movie nor would I be encouraging people to see it if it was just abysmal (ie Omega Code). It’s a good movie! It’s entertaining, it’s interesting, it has a genuinely intriguing conspiracy that must be unraveled, and there are twists and turns along the way.

Someone mentioned Kirk Cameron. I will tell you honestly that when I first heard that Kirk Cameron was playing Buck Williams, I was more than slightly distressed. Boy did he prove me wrong. He was excellent in the role in my book. Virtually every so-called “secular” reviewer (sorry but I cant think of a better term) agrees … one reviewer simply said he was “better than you’d expect”. That’s the best way to put it. Bye bye Mike Seaver.

I agree wholeheartedly with the statements on Christian art, and there are many believers like myself that would really like to see Christians rise once again to the forefront in all artistic areas of life. The CCM movement of the past three decades is the first “salvo” in that movement, and now Christian movies will hopefully be the next. While Left Behind is not 100% up to par with other big name releases in it’s budget ($17 million), it’s the most ever spent on a Christian feature. If this movie does well, there will hopefully be more $$ available to make an even better quality sequel.

By the way, some of you who felt the film was “too preachy” might be entertained to know that one of the major complaints that people like myself have lodged against Cloud Ten is that we feel that some parts of the gospel message was watered down! They pointed out that (without giving too much away) a certain video is very explicit in what is going on, and a cross plays a central visual cue to let people know what’s going on in the heart. True, but too subtle for me. But maybe not for others.

It was great reading everyone’s comments, even the negative ones. I’m going to run some errands and then later tonite, I and several family members are going to see the film! I’ll be back tomorrow :).

Here are two more links. These are not reviews but simply articles about the marketing strategy and the movie overall:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/updates2/lat_movie010202.htm

Here are two more links. These are not reviews but simply articles about the marketing strategy and the movie overall:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/updates2/lat_movie010202.htm

How does this movie compare to “The Rapture”? I considered that a thoughtful movie, with a lot of interesting extrapolation from the Bible.

Just wondering . . . Has there ever BEEN an “atheist movie?” Not one that “takes the Lord’s name in vain” or depicts Jesus in unflattering ways or depicts religious people in comical or nasty roles . . . I’m talking about a movie that posits the belief that there ARE no gods.

I can’t think of one, offhand . . .

I want a helicopter and 50 million dollars here in 15 minutes, or the hostages get it, 'cuz I’m hijacking this thread back to the OP!

Here’s my take on Left Behind. I’ve presented this scenario before. Feel free to punch holes in it, or give me smarmy accolades for my extrapolative powers, depending on your philosophical bent.

It is my belief that the authors of the Left Behind series do not truly believe what they preach in the books. My basis for saying this is found in the last chapter of the book of Revelation.

Specifically, chapter 22, verses 18 and 19 (New International Version) say:

Since the authors wrote an extremely literal adaptation of the Rapture, I assume that their beliefs are of the Fundamentalist, “the Bible says it, so that’s how it must be,” school of thought. Please note that I am not throwing the term “fundamentalist” around with no cause. Tim LaHaye (one of the series’ authors) identifies himself with the movement in this interview.

Jerry B. Jenkins also identifies himself as a literal believer in, among other places, this interview.

Based on their literalist view, how can they have written the Left Behind series at all, since it can be argued that absolutely any liberties taken with the scripture (in other words, not presenting the story precisely as it appears in Revelation) might be construed as “adding to” or “taking away from the book of this prophecy?”

It would seem to be a bad area for experimentation for a true believer. The only conclusion I can reach, then, is that the authors are pandering to this rising Fundamentalist “End Times” cultishness that seems to be prevalent today, and probably making a lot of money for their troubles.

Speaking as a bona-fide atheist, I think the biggest problem is putting an upbeat spin on the plot. I mean, if you have a movie wherein someoe dies and doesn’t go to Heaven (or anything else), you end up with (1) The Omega Code-esque tripe, and (2) a very short film. :slight_smile:

Seriously, though, what kind of form could an “atheist movie” plot take?

You live, you struggle, you die.

The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out, the worms play pinochle on your snout.

Roll credits

:slight_smile:

Well, let’s not forget Charleton Heston, now. I understand he did a Biblical epic or two… :wink:

Esprix

Hey! I’ll have you know I played Jesus in a production of “Godspell” and was told by someone in the know that I was the third best onstage death they’d ever seen in a production. And you obviously haven’t seen the current Broadway revival of “Jesus Christ Superstar” - yes, Lloyd Weber is truly a minion of Satan, but early on he pulled off something angelic with that show. Maybe he’s just another fallen angel like Lucifer… :wink:

Esprix

I don’t believe in Christianity, FoG. Could you fill me in on what doubts are supposed to be plaguing me?

-Ben

Aw, you know, Ben. Where did all the fundamentalists do when they floated up in the air? What was that really loud trumpet noise? Are you gonna finish those fries?

FOG…

You are slipping.
Left Behind has fallen to number 5 on the http://www.moviephone.com most requested list.

Earlier on, people were wondering why now, unlike in the past, only the poorer artistic talents agree to approach overtly religious subjects. I think I may have the beginning of an answer.

One reason Michaelangelo, Raphael and co. created religious art, is because that’s what interested them, and that’s what the public wanted. If Raphael wanted to portary “motherhood”, he’d paint a picture of the Virgin - religion was deeply ingrained into society at the time, far more than today, and it was part of the common language. Besides, if a wealthy Florentine family was willing to pay good money for a pieta, then Michaelangelo would sculpt a pieta, because being an artist is, after all, in many ways just another job. But how many people today would pay well to own a sculptue of Moses? Or to see one that is less than 400 years old?

The other reason was, I believe, in many cases true faith in the divine. However, they saw it as their duty to express their own feelings of love of God; to glorify His name; to add some small piece of beauty into His world. They were not trying to convert anyone, and the only people they were trying to save were themselves.

They were artists, not salesmen.

And that, I believe, is the problem with products like Left Behind. They are a form of commercial art, and their sole purpose is to push a product. Watching a film like LB is a bit like watching a The Transformer Movie; and while its goal is to save souls, instead of selling toys (a loftier, if less attainable endeavor), it is essentialy the same thing - i.e., garbage.

If I want good, modern Christian art, I can always read C.S. Lewis.

And FTR, I’m Jewish, and quite happy at it. I just happen to respect good art and powerful convictions.