A Pit on behalf of my cousin and bad companies to work for

Thanks all.

My mother recently died. I came into a small but usable windfall. I gave $5000 to my cousin to help her through this rough patch. She helped my mother quite a bit. She was the one I sent over to my mom’s house when I suspected something was wrong (I live 100 miles away). She is actually named after my mom.

So you think that you should be quitting before your situation is bad? That’s pretty stupid.

My cousin hung in there before it became completely untenable. The promised her an assistant again and again. Never happened. And really, she should not be preparing taxes anyway. Wasn’t hired for that. She learned a shit ton though, so that’s good. I will have her help me with my mothers estate taxes. For better or worse, my cousin can fire off tax form numbers like we can say the alphabet. Should be easy.

It was almost comical. She is very much more of a musician than a tax preparer. I’m sure she wondered what In the hell she was doing there. She’s smart as a whip though. And just did the job.

You (generic you) should always be on the lookout for a better deal. If you discover your employer is taking advantage of you, offer them the opportunity to make it right, or deliver them the “opportunity” to hire your replacement after you’ve moved to that better deal.

There is some room between “you’re happy as a clam” and “you’re deeply depressed over your long-term mistreatment”.

Many employers will happily pay you as badly and treat you as badly as you’re willing to put up with. There’s probably somebody else who’ll do better for you, and the worse your actual situation is, the greater the likelihood that that somebody else can be easily found and promptly moved to.

Sure, and in that space you go to your employer and express your concerns. When they don’t do anything to make it better, then you look at outside options. I’ve been in that exact position more than once.

I even did that recently. I was in a position where I was doing the same work as people who were ranked above me; technically more. I questioned why I’m doing the same work with less pay and fewer privileges.

The other issue was that I covered 3 different offices, and one office was very close to my house (it was the office they’d originally advertised the job for when I applied years ago) but another one that was an hour or more from my house was designated as my “main” office. I was expected to work there most of the time, and didn’t receive travel time or compensation driving there. I’d asked multiple times to be changed and my requests were refused because they felt more comfortable with me in the other location. (Even though I usually had less to do because it was smaller and had fewer people than the closest office.)

Finally, my designated office was moving to a new location even farther away. I said very firmly and repeatedly that there was no way that I was going to report to the new location. I’m not doing that commute regularly; it’s more time I’m away from home, it’s a more dangerous trip, it’s more gas and more wear and tear on my car. I’m not doing it. I was ignored because clearly I’m not serious and would just go along.

Then a position opened up that was a promotion (putting me at the rank and pay I should be at) and a very close location. I applied and took it. (Same organization.) My previous boss was upset like I’d blindsided her. I’d been saying for a long time that I was going to do it unless you resolved my issues. It’s not my fault you didn’t believe me.

Anyway, I’m happy now. I love my situation. But there seems to be the assumption that all employers are reasonable and will hear your issues and try to resolve them. In reality, many won’t. And if the employee then has to leave for a better situation, that’s not the employee’s fault. They aren’t the one who failed.

Totally agree.

What’s sad is that as best as I can recall, I’ve been in that kind of situation a half a dozen times. I was not being valued properly, I was being burnt out, overworked. And I’ve never had an employer do anything to fix it. Admittedly, a couple of times someone tried but was denied by someone higher up. Once, I gave notice because I’d been badly overworked for 2 1/2 years (my boss left and I took on both his duties as well as my own for what was supposedly to be a “temporary” situation). When my notice went in they offered me a promotion which would have given even more responsibility (and a tiny bump in pay but not much). I thanked them but it was clear they didn’t listen to my actual reason for leaving.

Yeah. Well my cousin did not want it look like she just flits from job to job. I think that’s important. It was pay, bad pay but pay. And she got a hell of a lot of experience.