A question about baseball bats

Of course, it’s also possible that corking a bat doesn’t actually accomplish anything productive, and that players persist in doing it just because they think it does.

That’s exactly what I think…corking a bat doesn’t help.

OP, if you ever get to Louisville KY:

Would be funny if they did something illegal, paid the price (exclusions, bans…) and all for something completely futile, a mere superstition.
If I ever go to Louisville, KY, I will have to look it up personally, because:

403 ERROR

The request could not be satisfied.

The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country.

Never mind, I’ll google it. Thanks you all for the replies! An alien world to me, and then words like corcking, burned bails, scrub baseball, stickball, rubbing mud. Nice!

I suppose that means that the bat should have a circular section, though there are curves of constant width that are not circular. I wonder if a Reuleaux triangle section would be an (unfair) advantage or not.

Yup, it has to have a round cross-section. Here’s the actual text of the MLB rule on bats (source):

The rule mentions that a “cup” is legal; a cup is a fairly small indentation which is allowed in the top end of the bat (i.e., the end opposite the handle). As I understand it, the idea behind a cup is that it takes a small amount of weight out of the bat, without changing its length (and, thus, possibly adding a tiny bit to bat speed). I don’t know that there’s any empirical evidence to prove this, however, and I don’t know if cupping is widely done.

Anyway, here’s a picture of a cupped end to a baseball bat:

It also lets you stand the bat on a ball if there’s no rack handy. /deadpan

Hey that stuff works, just like the +5 Amulets of Baseball Enhancement.

As in naturopathy and other holistic “medicinal” practices, placebos work. Dumbo’s Magic Feather helps.

Baseball players are known to be highly superstitious. Some superstitions are less ugly or harmful than others. Other than the idea of corking a bat, I don’t really know of any bat related superstitions.

This page lists a bunch of strange baseball superstitions, though I don’t know how many of them are widely followed anymore. The bat-related ones are:

Does cricket have any similar “bat” superstitions?