A Question regarding HIV Testing

[[JillGat, there are a lot of diseases we don’t know about yet floating around in the blood supply.
Take Hepatitis C [So called ‘the new AIDs’], just recently discovered, do you think they
retested the blood supply when they found a test for it?]]

Absolutely, and that’s why I made the point that you are more likely to contract other blood-borne diseases besides HIV when you receive a transfusion (probably more likely to have other problems related to rejection, too, but I don’t know much about that). And yes, the blood supply was and continues to be tested for Hepatitis C. Hepatitis C is something of a silent epidemic. We are just now seeing people with liver problems from infection with Hep C who contracted it many years ago from blood transfusions or even from experimenting with injection drugs way back in their hippy days!

[[Jill, what would you guess is the male/female ratio on this?]]

I couldn’t give you a ratio for how many infected males vs females lie to their sex partners. I can only tell you that the vast majority of the people with AIDS I interviewed were men. In my state, 75% of the HIV/AIDS cases reported are men who have sex with men.

EvilGhandi:

Blood banks and hospitals can be sued if a lawyer thinks there’s a good case, and the legal bills can run into the millions even if in the end they win. Better to screen first.

But you can’t sue a mosquito no matter how hard you try. And believe me, I have.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective