A Rationale for the Bush Administration's North Korea Policy

That’s not quite accurate:

Shodan,
Congratulations on being the first on this thread to throw a whining,partisan.content-free hissy-fit.

Anyway there are many reasons why North Korea is much more dangerous than Iraq. It’s a lot closer to acquiring nukes. it’s a lot more desparate for money. It’s a lot more isolated from the rest of the world so more likely to miscalculate. Finally it’s more likely to give WMD to terrorists like Alqueda for the simple reason that they aren’t a threat to it the way they are to Saddam Hussein.

Actually I don’t disagree that Saddam is a threat as well. The question is whether invading him in the present circumstances enhances US security. As I have argued in many threads it doesn’t. For one thing it’s MORE likely to make him pass his bio/chem weapons to terrorists simply because he has nothing to lose.

Oh and I am not on the left.

I agree that a multilateral approach is not just a good idea in the case of North Korea, but is absolutely necessary. Only if the countries NK economically depends on - China, South Korea, Japan - are part of the deal, will KJI have reason to capitulate.

Any military solution must at least be tolerated by China, which understandably regards itself as the big dog on that particular block.

So what could get China into the picture? Arming South Korea and Japan with nukes has been suggested. An option that shouldn’t be discussed publicly, but would be good for the appropriate US policymakers to whisper in the ear of the appropriate Chinese honcho, is that of arming Taiwan with nukes.

Because to say that China does not want to see that happen is something of an understatement: if Taiwan has nukes of its own, and missiles to lob them to the mainland with, then China can kiss goodbye any attempts to bully Taiwan into reunification - which of course is their current approach. And they really really really want Taiwan.

We should quietly but unequivocally make clear to them that our primary interest, by far, is restricting nukes to the smallest possible number of countries, and that we’d overwhelmingly prefer that China be the only nuclear power in the Far East (aside from Russia). But if they won’t cooperate with us in keeping their North Korean neighbor non-nuclear, they might wake up to find that they’re one of several nuclear powers on the Pacific Rim. And Taiwan would be one of them.

Doesn’t anyone want to mention that the North Korea situation, like Iraq, was reasonably stable and reasonably contained until Bush decided to unilaterally break off relations and switch to condemnation instead? Obligatory cite

Bush doesn’t have a “policy” much less a “strategy”, just an attitude, and an adolescent one at that, despite the polarizing filters on the rose glasses the OP wears. For the North Korea war, Bush won’t even have South Korea on his side.

“This foreign policy stuff is a little frustrating.” - GWB.