A really, really, *really* bad day, astronomically-speaking

I like the giant sunflower that sprouts out of the Pacific Ocean at the 2:40 mark. Any chance we could freeze the event there?

Also, I’m quite impressed that Big Ben was tough enough to survive the End of the World.

The “Hiroshima” comparison turned out to be quite an exaggeration, that’s probably why it didn’t get much coverage.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1348689.ece

They were using that video in the Science Channel show a few months back. One of those things they rerun every now and then.

Where the heck is the English translation? I don’t see anything labled “more” under the About This Video tag. Do you have to be logged in as a member?

Would all the matter/liquid ejected from the collision return like that? Doesn’t look right.

Ugh, I’m such a hopeless Otaku… I kept glancing at the bottom of the video for sub-titles.

It’s to the right of the video middle of the page.

Hmm…found it- this is a slightly different YouTube page from the one I looked at before. Anyway, thanks.

It’s glowing because it’s angry. Angry about what I can’t say.

Given the sheer size of the planetoid (Ceres?), I was wondering if the unstated presumption was that it was knocked out of it’s former orbit by a collision into an Earth-crossing orbit. About the only way something that big would ever come near Earth.

You’ll get a whole range of velocities. Some matter will be ejected permanently, other matter will be ejected into long trajectories eventually to return, and other matter will just splash around the earth. Have a look at the Tycho crater on the moon - those rays you see splaying out (1600 kms in lengh in some cases) are ejecta from the impact. Plus there’s a bunch of stuff on Earth that some feel is ejecta from the Tycho impact.

The object that made Tycho is much smaller than the one in the video. The crater is only 85 km across, meaning the object that hit the moon was significantly smaller than that.

Band name!