A.T.&T Fiber internet

Not true. Cat5 works fine at gigabit as long as you aren’t right at the distance limit (100 meters). I ran it in my house just fine, with the longest run at about 30m. Recently switched to 10 Gbps fiber, though.

WiFi does seem like the best explanation for the OP’s observations, in any case. I’ve seen 430 Mbps under real-world conditions, but that was still a best-case scenario. 200 is more typical.

What is the “test vehicle”? What is sloped steeply? I don’t understand. We’re talking about internet bandwidth, wifi, etc. right? What am I missing here? A comic book movie clip isn’t much of an answer it would seem to me.

“All conditions are optimal, in both known and unknown ways.” Better? It’s a metaphor.

UPDATE**

AT&T came back and installed a different modem.

My wife is getting 300+ on her IPad
She’s getting 500+ on her lap top plugged in hard wire, 300+ wifi.

I am only getting 60 on my IPad. So there has to be a problem with it. FYI, my IPad is newer than my wife’s. My IPad is always updated.

HELP!!!

Is the same SSID being used for the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz frequencies on your router? (I’m assuming that the AT&T modem is actually a modem / router.) If not, maybe you’re connecting using the 2.4 GHz SSID rather than the much faster 5 GHz. If you’re connecting to the router’s guest SSID, it might be using the 2.4 GHz frequency by default.

Agree with Guy. It sounds like your iPad is using the slower 2.4Ghz band instead of 5Ghz. Try ‘forgetting’ your wireless on the iPad then connecting again. If you see a 5Ghz version pick that one.

Alright. How do I do that? Explain it to me like I’m as slow as my connection speed.

OK, simplest way I think to troubleshoot is this: Go to your wife’s iPad. Find “Settings.” Tap it. Look at the network that is listed next to “Wi-Fi.” It should be the second item. Now do the same with your iPad. Are they they same network? If so, then that’s not the problem. If they are different, then tap on “Wi-Fi” on your iPad and select the same network as listed on your wife’s iPad.

NM. Error.

They are the same

I now also notice when I am using wifi elsewhere (such as at work) I am not getting the speeds everyone else is.

Something is running in the background sucking up bandwidth. Constant checking of email or facebook type stuff maybe?

What do I do about it? How do I stop that?

You are going to have to wait for Mac users to chime in as I haven’t used an Apple product in almost 15 years. I’d start with disabling / turning off one at a time the apps not needed to run the system. Do speed checks every so often to see if you found it. Do things that phone home first like how often you check for new email or the latest dope posts or if your one cloud keeps synching. Then it gets nasty if you have some type of malware you need to find.

This’ll sound dumb, but is your iPad in a protective case of some kind? If so, maybe there’s something about its construction which is affecting the iPad from receiving a strong wifi signal.

Something else you might try: turn off Bluetooth on the iPad and see if this makes a difference. I did some quick Googling and came across this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250315504

My wifes Ipad is in the same case and she tested at 303 this morning. I took mine out of the case and tested at a dismal 37. Bluetooth is off. I went through my apps like I was told but it actually got slower!

Maybe your iPad is using “low data mode” on its wifi connections. Check this out and see if it applies to yours: Use Low Data Mode on your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

There’s also the possibility that your iPad has a hardware defect that’s affecting wifi. Do you have an AppleCare contract on it?

I would also try a hard reset on the iPad, just as a basic first step. I’m not sure if it’s the same on the newer iPads (looks like iPad Pro has a different method), so you may have to look it up (or just list your iPad and model here), but hold the home button down along with the on/off button and keep it held down until the iPad resets itself. It should first show you a “slide to power off” message, but just ignore that and keep holding down those buttons until the screen blanks and the iPad resets.

No guarantee that this will change anything with your WiFi performance, but it’s a good first step when you have any problems just to eliminate it as a possible solution. It often sorts out wonkiness problems with me, but I’ve not had one specifically related to internet speeds.