[QUOTE=lee]
I got raped at school, so yes, just attending school could have exposed me to HPV, but for me 11 would have been too late. I read about rapes happening in schools during school hours every year. I heard about far more when I was in school. So at least some girls are at risk just by being in school. I assume that most schools are already trying to prevent rape on school grounds, but it would be nice if one of the consequences they protected for were cancer.
HPV and the cancer it causes is prevalent enough now that we tell all women to see their doctor every year for a pap smear. We don’t tell them you only need to do this if you are sexually active.
The law allows you to opt out for philosophical reasons, so no one is being forced to have their child vaccinated. I support the law and it saddens me that so many think that we shouldn’t make it universal because transmission of HPV is sexual. I can understand if one feels the vaccine has risks, which is one reason I am ok with the opt out clause. I am not ok with the idea that we can just tell our daughters to not have sex and then close our eyes and turn our backs to this.
[/QUOTE]
I am not ok with that idea either, and anyone who has characterized this as my argument is just plain wrong, and will not find any evidence in this thread or anywhere else that this is my opinion on the matter. The fact that several people have implied that this is my argument does not make it so, and it does make me wonder at the motivations of those people.
The fact is, I have REPEATEDLY said that this is not my argument, and explained what my argument actually is. My argument is that the risk is not great enough to warrant mandatory vaccinations. Does this mean that the risk is zero? No, and I never said it was.
I apologize for the implication that horrible things such as rapes do not happen to young girls at school. The point of mandatory vaccines, however, is to prevent widespread epidemics of dangerous diseases that are easily spread from person to person by sitting next to them on a bus, or sitting next to them in school. These are activities that virtually all children are involved in every day, and are the reasons that virtually all children used to contract illnesses such as measles, mumps, etc. This is simply not the case with HPV.
Again, I would like to stress that, once this vaccine is shown to be safe, I believe it will be the responsible thing to do for parents to have their children vaccinated, and it will be good for the AMA to have doctors recommend it to parents, etc. That does not mean that the government should be in the business of requiring it.
I am not feeling particularly inclined to lay out my entire argument AGAIN, but I am interested to hear a counter-argument that addresses my actual POV, vs. what people are claiming my POV to be. So again, does anyone want to tell me what they think the criteria should be for making a vaccine mandatory?