A thread for Rudy {Rudy Giuliani}

Maybe he thought that he was 100% correct at the time and now sees that he was wrong. Or maybe he still thinks them to be true, but realizes that he can’t substantiate the allegation so withdraws it by toggling to “My bad”. Maybe something else.

I don’t thinks it’s clear that he knew his statements to be wrong when he said them. In any case, I was just pushing back on the OP’s mischaracterization of him admitting he “lied”.

Of course it’s clear that he knew his statements were wrong.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/26/politics/rudy-giuliani-georgia-election-workers/index.html

His statements about them, which they say are all false, included calling them ballot-stuffing criminal conspirators. Giuliani also drew attention to a video of them after the election, which was first posted by the Trump campaign and showed part of a security tape of ballot counting in Atlanta. Giuliani posted on social media and said on his podcast and other broadcasts that the video showed suitcases filled with ballots, when it did not capture anything but normal ballot processing, according to their lawsuit and a state investigation.

He made a factually false claim about a video. Either he didn’t see the video, and therefore made a statement of fact about something that he knew he didn’t watch, or he did see the video, and made a statement of fact about something he knew wasn’t true.

If I have a box with a red hat in it, and I tell everyone that it has a blue hat in the box, I am lying. Either I looked in the box and know it is blue, or I didn’t look in the box and I am falsely presenting the idea that I looked in the box and saw that it was red. Either way, I am lying.

Again, he made very objectively false statements that he knew were false, there is no wiggle room in this particular situation.

There is no evidence that he KNEW the states to be false when he made them. None. My guess is that he looked at the video and thought it was fraud at the time.

That doesn’t qualify for him not lying. It would just be willful ignorance. He had no reason to believe any source that told him about election fraud. So if he’s not admitting to lying now then he’s lying again.

He literally described something that wasn’t in the video. Your guess has to assume alternative facts.

Lying occurs when someone says something untrue AND they know it to be untrue at the time. So, unless you can point to him saying, “I lied” or you have mind-reading powers that transcend time and space, I would hope that you would concede that insisting he lied is ridiculous. I hope that clears things up.

Simply not knowing it is true makes it a lie.

Yup.
Lying occurs when someone says something they claim is the truth when they do not know it to be true at the time.

Well, Rudy is a politician, a lawyer and a MAGA, so we can assume he was lying.

But that statement is not a clear admission of guilt in this case.

First, please stop emailing me with your responses. It is both unnecessary and unwanted.

Second, we disagree. It’s only a lie if the person knows that what he is saying is untrue. Lies are intentional acts. Otherwise, someone is simply mistaken. Example: Two people are playing tennis. Player A says a particular shot was “out”; Player B says it was “in”. Is one of them definitively lying? Which one?

Now we go to the slo-mo replay and see that the ball was clearly “in”. Player A agrees the ball was in, admits his mistake, and the game goes on. Is Player A a liar or was he simply mistaken? And how do you know? How do you know he didn’t honestly think the ball was out?

Why can’t they simply be mistaken, like in my example to TriPolar? The person you’re describing might accurately be called careless, but that does not mean he was lying. People say things they think to be true all the time. And they are often wrong. That doesn’t mean that all those instances of being mistaken constitute lying.

:joy: Nice.

He built a narrative around what he saw and ascribed motivations to actions on a video. Ascribing motives to people’s actions is risky business. Yet, that’s what he did. And that’s what people do when they try to insist that someone who is mistaken must be lying. It’s assuming evidence that is not there.

??? I am simply responding to your posts.

Well, the last two (not this one) showed up in my computer’s Inbox. Weird.

Not weird, that’s what you have your settings set to do.

One or both of them could be lying. If A says the shot was out but he didn’t see that it was then he is lying. If B says the shot was in but he didn’t see that it was then he is lying. It’s not all unusual in this circumstance for one or both of them to be lying. This is far different from false defamatory statements made while conspiring to fraudulently interfere with an election. You do understand that Rudy is not accused of lying about a tennis game, right?

If someone says “they were committing fraud!” but, in fact, that someone was only guessing that they might have been committing fraud, then that someone is lying. Because they’re saying something certain when they’re not certain.

If I tell the cops “my sister was at my house at 11 PM last night”, but in fact I’m not sure if my sister was at my house at 11 PM last night, and I’m only guessing that she might have been, I’m lying to the cops.

The most important word in what you wrote is “could”. Yes, either player could be lying. RG could be lying. People could be lying anytime they say something that is incorrect. Up until this morning I thought Ricky Henderson had a few inside-the-park home runs. It turns out he had only one. If I told you this morning he had several, would that have made me a liar? How about if I made that claim now, after I became aware of the truth? Are they both the same? Why or why not?

I don’t get this insistence that an incorrect statement from a person MUST be a lie. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that I think that the insistence is due to the identity of the person who made the statement.