A way to work around federal drug laws?

Pot is probably a lot more than “slightly better” than alcohol.

Are they “far worse” than alcohol? I’m not so sure of that. There probably aren’t too many drugs that are as prone to abuse as alcohol.

So wait - decriminalizing marijuana somehow increases the usage of hard drugs that are still illegal in Holland? Neither do I follow that logic, nor do I see how what is apparently an article about travel, devoid of statistics of any kind, supports this assertion.

Drug usage rates in the Netherlands (PDF). According to the charts on page 24, 0.3% of persons 12 and older tried heroin in their lifetime.

Rates in the united states aren’t quite so low:

2.9 million lifetime users would make over 1% of the population.

The idea would be that a person would pay the $.01 cent fine for every violation of marijuana laws.

Do you have a cite for that? IIRC, the cops were charged under the argument that it was somehow a “different” act.

Joel

Being affected and being victimized are two completely different things. “The loss of one diminishes us all” so I’m a murder victim? I don’t think so.

And… what? Are they causing problems? Or are you saying that drugs should be illegal so that we don’t have to look at unpleasent sights?

We’d be better off with safer drugs and less drug-related crime.

You’re affected to a certain extent depending on the amount you consume - which is really true of all drugs. The only difference is the amount.

You might get a buzz (i.e. slight intoxication) from one drink, but you wouldn’t be falling down drunk. Likewise, after one hit of pot you might not be “sober”, but you probably aren’t significantly impaired either. You may be able to take an SAT or safely operate machinery after one drink or one hit.

Ain’t that the truth, here in New Zealand we have a rapidly growing meth-amphetamine problem. Partly this has come about through gangs selling cannibis that offer discounted meth when someone comes in to buy a “foil” of cannibis.

If cannibis were sold legally in cafe’s or similar establishments then this link to hard drugs would not have come about. Not to mention the extra revenue that legalising marijuana would generate from taxes. I will also mention that this would provide a form of quality control and the ability to regulate the strength.

As for America I can never see any form of drug being legalised, what I do think needs to be changed is the penalties for possesion and sale of marijuana. To think that someone could go to jail for 20 years just for possesing an ounce of cannibis. Punishments like the above are ruining lives over just having a puff. In New Zealand you might get a year or so at the most.