A Year Without Cable

I only have the extremely bare-bones, $13 cable - the cheapest option available from the local provider. Aside from the standard broadcast networks, this gives me about 3 or 4 channels I’d ever care to watch, plus a lot of foreign-language channels. Before that I could get no TV at all, even with antennae. When I went from dial-up to cable modem, I decided it would be nice to have access to news in case someone blew up another building.

The only channel I really miss is Comedy Central. However, I am never in danger of accidentally stumbling across MTV, so that’s a fair trade-off.

I’ll clock in at ~3 years cable-free here too. The good shows are all on DVD anyway. (South Park, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Six Feet Under…)

Not only have we not had cable for over two years, but we don’t have a VCR or DVD player :eek: ! Our tv sucks, too. It’s a hand-me-down from one of my husband’s elderly relatives. It doesn’t have a remote and has little buttons to push for the channels (1-8). It takes several hours for it to warm up (remember when tvs used to have to warm up?), so we’re usually watching a horrendous picture. We still watch plenty of tv. When we move back to the US in a few months, my husband has deemed cable to be a priority so that he can watch rugby and cricket. I’ll be happy to get my *Daily Show * back.

It won’t be too long before “TV” as we know it will be available on TV’s and PC’s(and iPods, and…). We’re not too far from that being a reality right now.

When my “introductory rate” runs out on the cable service I have now, I’ll ask them to extend it. If they don’t, I’ll cancel. I can watch a lot of my favorite programs on the web, and the rest I won’t miss in the slightest.

I don’t have cable for reasons simililar to Gordon Urquhart
If I had cable, I’d watch WAY too much TV.
I still watch, maybe a bit “too much” (im my own opinion), but with cable I’d be in trouble.

Brian

When I got out of college I didn’t have any cable at all for a year or so. Then I wanted to watch the Olympics so I got it. A few years later the women I was living with wanted the huge digtial cable when it came out and I hated it. I hated the box, waiting for the channel to change. When she left I ditched cable and went to an antenna. When I bought a house I couldn’t use my antenna so got basic cable. I’ve had that for the last couple of years with no problem.

Now, I just bought a new HDTV when my last one died. I’ve been looking into it for the last couple of weeks and have decided to go with an antenna again. I just got one yesterday that looks a bit like a dish so I’m going to install it on my roof where the dish is and not worry about it. I think once I get it pointed the right way I will get 20-25 HD channels. I have it set up inside now and picked up most of them really well, I figure when I get it outside it will work great since all the stations are within a couple of degrees and a mile or so apart. I would totally ditch cable if I could find a DVR that had a digital tuner in it.

Well of course I could do without, anyone could do without, but I choose not to. I watch almost nothing on the networks. I don’t think I’ve watched a CBS show, for example, regularly in five years or more. Oh, except for The Amazing Race. If I didn’t have cable I’d miss all the poker shows I watch semi-obsessively and Veronica Mars.

I forewent subscribing to cable when I moved into my own place last November. I didn’t own a television over 15" and I wasn’t about to spend $200 on a 21" box when I have a perfectly good 21" monitor for one of my computers.

I watch the 15" tv - broadcast - when I am falling asleep at night (PBS rocks!) and the 21" computer monitor is my television in the living room. Hooked up to a powerful computer with Region 1 and Region 2 DVD players, surround sound, 30GB of music and 400GB of “watchables.” :slight_smile: Plus I have a subscription to Netflix.

Cable? pffft.

I dropped the premium movie channels on DirecTV about 5 years ago. Every now and then, they’ll offer a free weekend on one of the movie networks. When they do, I check out the listings and I flashback to the scene in Crocodile Dundee where he sees the I Love Lucy rerun on the hotel TV.

“Yep, that’s what I saw.”

They’ll be showing the same movies that they were repeating before I dropped them.

I’m hoping I can - I’m moving to a new (to me) house next week (fingers crossed), and just to be different I’m planning to use an old green-screen monitor + VCR to handle my TV needs for a while.

Hopefully my PC + DVD drive + local library DVD collection will prevent withdrawal symptoms. :wink:

Mythbusters will be a problem…

I haven’t had any sort of cable except rabbit ears for about six years now. Everytime I go to the gym to work out (each treadmill etc, has it’s own tv and cable or you can plug in a dvd or cd) I always end up watching tbs and catching a very funny rerun of Enright3 Loves Raymond (as my son calls it), or Friends or a Braves baseball game. I don’t miss it at all. If I got it, it would only be for the reception.

I’m of the opinion that they’re losing a customer base. If they offered me a true basic cable of only the channels that I could get on antenna, then I’d pony up the bucks just for the reception (assuming that coverage like that should only be about $5/ months).

Oh and I forgot to add… thanks to NetFlix, I’m one step further away from ever getting cable again.

I haven’t had cable for about ten years. I almost broke down last year for NFL Sunday ticket, but I ended up moving to a house that was walking distance to a prety decent sports bar. Why flip between games when you can have them all on at once?

The only things I ever watch on TV now are news, Simpsons reruns and PBS specials.

There’s no way I could go without hockey. I don’t watch much TV other than sports, but I am a huge fan and couldn’t go without it.