About 3 months until I get my hip replaced

The doctor who is doing my replacement is doing the old style posterior incision. I was told that the main difference between the 2 surgeries is that the anterior method is a bit better for the first 2 weeks after surgery, otherwise they are the roughly the same.

The other issue is availability. I can get the old style surgery in 3 months whereas the wait for anterior surgery is longer…

I have had two friends get hip replacements that went very wrong. They did not heal well & the hips are still severely swollen after a year. They can not get out of bed. Walking is out of the question.

The bottom line is that they are allergic to the material that the new hip is made of. They are going to need to replace the new hips with ones made of other materials. But first the swelling needs to go down. A serious catch 22.

Thus, I suggest getting tested to see if you are allergic to any of the material that the new hip is made of.

My wife was going to have tooth implants installed. After getting tested to see if she is allergic to the implant material, she had to cancel the surgery as she is very allergic to the titanium ones and to the ceramic ones as well. Bummer.

IHTH, 48.

I got a call from the doctors office earlier today. They had a cancellation and wanted to know if I wanted it. It is for next Thursday and that is just a bit too soon.

Why is it a bit too soon? Just get it done with.

Gad, what a bunch of geezers on this board. I include myself, of course. Glad to see this thread, as I may be needed some sort of knee cuttery. Don’t know yet if it’s cartilage or the knee itself, but I have an appointment in January with my GP who, I’m sure, will refer me to a joint doc.

I’ve also got an arthritic thumb that is giving me constant grief and will need. . .something. I was surprised to see that there are surgeries for it, but am hoping to start with steroid injection first. Anybody else ever have thumb surgery?

I’m not in good enough shape right now. I want to make the recovery as easy as possible. Also, I need to board my dog and make a few other arrangements that might need a bit of time to organize.

Plus, my head in not in the right place ATM.

I had my hip replaced in Nov of 2019. I stayed home from work for 3 weeks. My wife and I where able to set up a bedroom downstairs for me so I didn’t have to deal with stairs. The aero bed blow up matrasses are great. We have 3. The one I was using is the height of a regular bed.

The room is actually one entryway to our house with a door to the outside, and a door to the house. It’s heated. Worked out quite well. We use the room as an additional guest room now.

Our medical supply store had a kit with a grabber and a tool for putting on socks. Very clever. We got a high toilet seat, with grab bars attached, when she had her knee replaced. It nestles onto the toilet (seat up) and there is a screw that locks it into place. I hate the thing, but it is good for her.
We had grab bars installed in our shower a while ago for her mother, and one by the toilet in another bathroom, so we didn’t have to worry about that.

I’m starting to get a little worried about socks. Devices to assist with putting on and taking off socks all seem to suck. I have tried to use an assist like this one and so far I can get my foot in the sock but can’t get the sock fully pulled up.

This type makes more sense to me but the reviews are middling.

What experiences do you guys have with these things? Is getting the sock on the foot ok with using a grabber to pull the sock up the rest of the way?

I had zero problems with socks. But then I was home for three weeks. I think I just wore cozy slippers for the first week or two, and sweat pants.

I had a bone spur removed from my shoulder years ago. The PA told me I’d need to be in a sling for 6 weeks. (???) so I bought some zip up snow boots to wear. Turns out, I used the sling for a couple of days, and would take it off to get dressed any way. The PA gave me completely bad advice. Maybe she confused me with someone else and thought I was getting major, major work done. Still, not good.

Winter in Toronto will require socks…If I could get away with just cozy slippers, I’d do that.

OK. Well, I live at 11,200 feet in the Colorado Mountains. Winters are brutal. Slippers worked fine for me.

Something like this may work

Note: Don’t walk outside on ice on them. Ice and a smooth leather sole is a bad combo.

Those looks very cozy. I’ll try to find something like them.

I found a nice pair of Sheepskin Moccasins. They look like they should keep my feet warm…

Everyone I know that has gotten a hip replacement (about 5-6) the doctors want them up and walking the day after surgery.