Ace joins his friends on the Unemployment Line:

See? You should NEVER vote Democratic again. It’s the root of all your problems. It’s all your fault all those people got fired. Dewey will be by shortly to kick your ass.

Seriously, good luck and good hunting.

See, it’s true what they say. Unemployment gives you time to pursue other interests.

:smiley:

I’d go for the CCNP if I were you, Ace.

Um, actually I am going for the CCNP. I got my CCNA in April, but haven’t even looked for a job yet, since I’m still in school and working part-time at a decent job where I get a lot of free time.

You may have to study so much that you’ll start redistributing BGP-4 into IGPs in your dreams, but, judging by the salary and demand for CCNPs and CCIEs vs. CCNAs on job search engines, it would probably be well worth it.

Lurker and DCU: :smiley:

Neutron: Definitely could go for the CCNP. I’ve been happy with my job, up until the layoff, just wondering what else might be out there for me away from the mighty city, where everything is next door and you haven’t met you neighbors in 15 years.

I think NY needs a new contrapuntal motto:

If you can’t make it here, you might be able to make it many other places.

Sorry to hear the news, Ace.

And yeah, completely aside from the whole losing-your-job thing, the ‘45 minutes to clean out your desk’ bit is really demeaning. I doubt I could find everything in my office that belonged to me in 45 minutes, let alone the various and sundry personal files on my computer’s hard drive.

Yeah, I know they say you aren’t supposed to keep personal files on your computer, and the law’s on their side, but the law’s an ass. That’s about as realistic, these days, as not having any personal effects in your desk drawer.

Where, indeed, are the white-collar unions?

I’m sorry to hear you lost your job, Ace.

If you do decide to move somewhere warm, I would warn you away from Silicon Valley right now. The tech economy here is still in the dumps, there are already a huge number of unemployed tech people looking for work, and the cost of living is about the same as NYC (i.e. five times higher than everywhere else).

Good luck.