Acknowledged greats in the Arts that you "don't get"

Mark Rothko. Actually, I kinda like his art. I just don’t see that it’s “all that.”

Pulykamell Yes, Pollock’s works are a brilliant dichotomy of randomness and structure. I only realized that after seeing Autumn Rhythm (Number 30) at the NYC Met. Museum… I was blown away by it. A real epiphany.

I think the Miles Davis Quintet was fantastic; otherwise, I never got much into him either.

You might want to check out Mahler’s re-orchestrations of the Schumann symphonies. Until I heard his versions, I considered those symphonies utterly boring and insipid. Riccardo Chailly has recorded them.

For my part, I’ve never been able to “get” Wagner. I consider his work impossibly tedious, heavy-handed, and pretentious. This attitude got me into trouble when I was a graduate music student (a German conducting teacher sternly told me, “I suggest you revise your opinion”).

I think Pollack wiped off his used brushes on Twombly’s canvases.

A bit unpatriotic, but I’d go for Henry Moore.

Scrap metal to my unenlightened eyes…

Same for Barbara Hepworth.

Must be a Yorkshire thing.

Exactly who I came here to say. I hate Pollock. I found it quite off-putting that the head art lecturer fawned over a drunk, abusive asshole whose last act in this world was to kill an innocent woman, while being insultingly dismissive of her actual students.

Critics love Captain Beefheart actual name Don Van Vleit. Dear lord he sure sucks.

Matisse, Daly, Picasso, Frank Lloyd Wright, Le Corbousier, Joyce, Bruce Lee, Brad Pitt, Michael Jackson, Beyonce, all rappers, all hip-hop and street dancers, all recurring reality programs, Breaking Bad, Lord of the Rings (movie).

Oh I “get” them alright. I just don’t dig 'em.

I’ll agree with Billie Holiday, never cared for her, but I think at least part of that has to do with the very poor recordings, but part of it is still her voice.

Rush, I HATE Rush. I hate them to the point where I really don’t understand why other people like them. Let me make something clear, I like the drums, I like the bass, I can’t stand Geddy’s voice.

Thelonius Monk. To be fair, I’ve never been a big fan of jazz to begin with. A few years ago I rented Straight: No Chaser to give it a fair shot and it just wasn’t working for me but I was told (by someone here) that if I’m going to try Jazz, TM isn’t the place to jump in. Honestly, jazz isn’t for me, it just sounds like a bunch of people randomly stomping on pianos and plucking at basses and all in their own little heroin induced dreamlands. sorry. What someone upthead said about The Grateful Dead…that’s what jazz sounds like to me. You can probably find a jazz song or two that I like and I can probably find a few GD sounds you’ll like.

Philip Glass. Boring.

As it happens, not much.

For a long time I just didn’t “get” Picasso. Then, in a life-drawing class, I decided to walk around the model, combining different parts of her from different angles in the same drawing. Then, a few years later, I visited the Picasso Museum in Paris. It was one of the most enjoyable museums I’ve ever visited. It became obvious to me that there was much humor in Picasso’s work. After those two events, I finally “got” Picasso.

Well, he *was *funny, back in the day.

“The day” being over 25 years ago, of course.

I dislike Beyonce. Her songs mostly have no meaning. “All the single ladies, put your hands up”? How about no…

Forgive me, Robert Frost.

Damien Hirst, the half-a-cow plagiarist. And any other installation artists who just grab standard household items and give them a pretentious title, like Tracey Emin and Marcel Duchamp.

Abstract art is just so much rubbish to me. Most pop music is too, even after applying Sturgeon’s Law.

Ezra Pound and WH Auden. I secretly think they were both hacks.

I actually didn’t like the Coke ad, but that’s because I dislike overly sentimental to the point of being schmaltzy ads. For the same reason I didn’t like car ad with Dylan, or really most of the car ads.

I liked the Budweiser “whatever” ad, but I felt it went too short. It needed maybe 5-6 minisodes to work, instead of the 2-3 we got.