Across the world which military has the coolest looking field & dress uniforms?

They’re really the airedales’ dirty little secret – originally rebadged/rebuttoned from Marine uniforms for WWI service. They were never supposed to wear the greens outside a carrier or naval air station, because even surface sailors would occasionally mistake them for Marines.

It’s the Marine dress uniform for me. Sharp!

I came in here to post that. Yes, the men in the uniforms ranged from mostly evil to pure evil. But the uniforms were magnificent. The long coats to go over the uniforms, magnificent. The rings Himmler designed, magnificent.

BTW-

Does anybody have a link to more drawings or pictures of the Marine mess dress? I’m working on a ringmaster coat and if I add tails to the mess dress jacket, I’d have the perfect shape. Note that this coat will be made out of terycloth printed with a pattern of guady squares and rectangles and have large hand-shaped buttons. It could not conceivably be mistaken for an actual uniform. However, various things on that site make me wonder if it might still be illegal to use an official mess dress jackect as a pattern.

Look at their tunic buttons:

Eight equally spaced buttons = Grenadier Guards
Four groups of two buttons = Coldstream Guards
Three groups of three = Scots Guards
Two groups of four = Irish Guards
Two groups of five = Welsh Guards.

You’ve no idea how good it felt to post that! I love trivia :slight_smile:

And they were some of the few guys who could use daggers and skull & crossbones in their service uniforms and not just come across as a bunch of posers. Hellbound psychos, sure, but psychos with style.

True, I’m always thinking of the (possibly urban legend) story that their uniforms were designed to strike at the enemy psychologically.