Actors/Actresses whose looks changed drastically

I think that, in Redford’s case, at least some of it is that he spent a lot of time outdoors, skiing and ranching, and his face now seems to reflect that.

Yeah, but Redford is 84 now.

Yeah, I know it’s aging, but it still struck me as a very drastic change. If I look at photos of my dad when he got married and right before he died, while he was heavier and obviously older, it still looked like him. But when I see current pictures of Redford, I have to work to recognize him. But maybe it’s just me.

It’s not just you.

The inverse of the child-star-who-grew-up-plain: Jerry O’Connell. Who knew the chubby kid from Stand By Me would not just grow up to be studly, but marry Rebecca Romijn??

Jackie Earle Haley went from the good looking kid in Bad News Bears to competing with Clint Howard for roles as the crazy looking person.

Yes!!

He looks a lot like Ray Wise, famous for playing Leland Palmer on Twin Peaks, in his current age photo.

I have sort of a theory that with kids who are cast as “cute kids”, their exaggerated ‘cute’ features that work well as kids cause them to be weird looking as adults. That’s why a lot of “cute kid” actors don’t seem to age well.

I think that’s right.

In the “plastic surgery gone awry” category, there was Pete Burns, the lead singer for Dead or Alive.

A few years ago there was a dedicated website done by somebody with some medical knowledge who collected, dissected, and posted disastrous celebrity plastic surgeries. I forgot the exact site title & long ago lost the url.

Searching now I can’t locate it. Like so many things from earlier internet eras, it may have turned into a facebook page or pinterest group.

It was always morbidly fascinating. Google can deliver hundreds of gross pix like this. It was the explanations behind the epic fails that made that site great.

You’d think a famous celebrity could afford the very best plastic surgeon, so why do their procedures look so wrong? (I remember seeing Kenny Rogers on TV someplace and he did not look good. I think he would have looked better if he just let himself look his age.)

Julie Bowen had kind of a cherubic look when she did Happy Gilmore in the mid-90s, and looked a lot different than she did during Modern Family. I remember being surprised when I learned that was the same actress.

^^Julie Bowen did a TV show called Ed from 2000 - 2004. It was kind of a transition for her looks from ingenue to frazzled mother. But yeah, if you jump from Happy Gilmore to Modern Family, it’s something of a jolt.

I would say from a trailer I just watched, she looks much more like a mom in Happy Gilmore than she did in Modern Family.

In what universe is that woman not “conventionally pretty”?

I’m admittedly not really knowledgeable about Japanese standards of beauty, but it seems to me that she’d be considered “pretty” anywhere she went. She certainly would be here.

Nicole Eggert and Josie Davis, the two sisters from Charles in Charge. Pre-Baywatch Eggert was the cute one while Davis was a bit of a “Sarah Plain and Tall”. Then a few years later Davis became hot and Eggert kind of let herself go.

Val Kilmer

Megan Fox changed greatly from her early days.