Actors who killed (or very nearly so) their careers by taking *too* memorable a role.

Ewan McGregor is not exactly sitting by the phone waiting for the casting agents to call, either.

Theirs is definitely one of the stranger stories in the annals of show business. By 1970 it looked as though they would forever be relegated to, at best, occasional guest supporting character spots, e.g. Nimoy’s occasionally recurring character on Mission: Impossible. In fact, Grace Lee Whitney (Yeoman Rand), who was a minor character to begin with and was written out after the first season, saw her own life tank to the point where she was turning tricks to survive.

But meanwhile, the first feature film got greenlighted, the cast was rehired, and the resulting film not only pleased the geeks but also took in enough at the box office to pave the way for several sequels. So the cast members were hopelessly locked into their roles, but at least were finally enjoying real professional success.

That’s who she’ll always be to me.

I think a lot of people aren’t neccesarily thinking their suggestions through. There are a lot of people in this thread that I don’t have the same reaction to for any number of reasons. Just because the person was so memorable to you in one role doesn’t mean they will be as memorable to someone else.

Hmmm did anyone hear of a little Stanley Kubrick movie called “The Shining”? She was terrific as Wendy. She was also great as Dixie in “Roxanne”, yet another hit. Also, like other smart Hollywood actors, she went into the production end of the business, creating, producing and starring in several children’s series for Showtime.

Quoth Dooku:

Not hardly. Yes, he’s remembered for Planet of the Apes, but that’s hardly the only thing for which he’s remembered. Ben Hur, anyone, or The Ten Commandments?

Oh, I know one:

Robert Hays

Unforgettable in Airplane!, moderately rememberable in Airplane II: The Sequel, and hasn’t appeared in anything noteworthy since. (You didn’t exactly see people lined up around the block when Take This Job and Shove It was in the theaters, did you?)

Halfway through the second page and no one’s mentioned Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest yet? Even Dunaway is surprised her career survived that one.

Actually, when someone mentions Billy Zane, I think Dead Calm before I think Titanic.

I think of him playing himself in Zoolander. Or as John Justice Wheeler in Twin Peaks. I always forget he was in Titanic, and I also try to forget that I saw Titanic.

Oh, I totally agree. I was just going with Jadis’ comments in post #35:

I’ll bet he’s gotten more POTA quotes tossed at him than quotes from his other movies. “For he truly is the King of Kings.”

Kevin Costner. ‘No Way Out’ was a good thriller and showed he had talent, but after ‘Dances with Wolves’ his career has been all downhill. It’s as if that film squeezed the life out of him.

Actually, Faye Dunaway in ‘Mommie Dearest’ has already been mentioned.

More like, gave the audiences far more Kevin Costner than anything should ever be subjected to, and the entire population of the planet developed a severe Really-Bad-Actor allergy.

Anyway…

I would nominate Geena Davis. She was good. She was excellent in Beetlejuice, , then she gets, Thelma and Louise, A League of Their Own, Hero… a handful of other good movies…

Then she hits Cutthroat Island. Granted she’s not exactly remembered for it (because nobody saw the goddamned movie), but look at her IMDB profile. Before Cutthroat, she made 16 movies in 10 years. Afterwards, it became a relative trickle.

She’s probably been busy with the three kids she’s had over the last three years. Aren’t two of the children twins, though?

He played a very unsympathetic character in the excellent Band of Brothers. But it was quite distracting to have ROSS there.

Almost everything Costner does these days just makes it worse for him. The Untouchables was good (in spite of him)… obviously no one told him that when you’re in a hole, you STOP DIGGING.

The casting in Band of Brothers was a tease. Your first thought was that Ross had finally grown up; that now he was going to kick some serious ass; that now he was a winner, a leader, a man. Then it turns out that he’s the same old Ross, same old loser, same old woman.

Gah, so it was. Sorry about that, I try to be so careful in threads like this not to repeat.

I was hesitant about scolding you for this minor infraction, but this was one of the few times when I had actually read the whole thread before adding my gem, and I felt rather proud of it. And wanted to prove it.

Sorry.

I would suggest Max Baer, Jr. (Jethro in The Beverly Hillbillies) as a good example of someone who killed their career (acting career anyway, as he’s been successful as a producer) by having the misfortune to take too memorable a role.

Fred Gwynn as Herman Munster.

Haj