Adapting SF/Fantasy story into a Movie without Acknowledgment

That reminds me - the Addams Family theatrical musical is essentially “You Can’t Take it with You” with the Addams family subbed in for the eccentric family in YCTIWY (even relatively small details are the same - in YCTIWY, they play a free association game that causes the stodgy family to reveal secrets that disrupt their lives - while in the Addams Family musical, they play the Full Disclosure game which does the same thing to the equivalent stodgy family)

Interesting! I knew nothing about the AF musical.

The stage play YCTIWY, dating as it does from 1936, is not yet in the public domain—but of course this entire thread is about thefts from works still under copyright. The movie IS in the public domain as the copyright was inadvertently allowed to lapse, but that doesn’t mean the underlying work is free to use without attribution… naughty, naughty writers…

Adding the Addams Family to the story may make the story sufficiently different to avoid legal difficulty, but for people who have seen both the resemblance is unmistakable (as this article for example, notes Review: Joys of eccentricity in ‘You Can’t Take It With You’ – Chicago Tribune)

Hardware, a 1990 independent british SF film about a woman making a sculpture from scavenged robot parts that unfortunately includes an intact military hunter-killer cpu was remarkably similar to a 1980 one-off strip in the UK comic 2000 A.D.
The comic publisher successfully sued and future relases of the film included an acknowledgement.

I’ve got a battered paperback of that sucker. Great story.

There’s a 2019 horror film called Countdown, in which various young people download an app called Countdown that supposedly can predict how long you’ll live. The concept seems similar to Robert Heinlein’s story Life-line, although the Heinlein story wasn’t dark.

It’s a bit darker than you remember

The young couple the inventor counsels dies in a car accident that the inventor watches but can’t prevent, and the inventor himself is murdered by a mob whipped up by insurance companies