Adaptive Cruise control or Cross-traffic alert pick one (need answer sorta quick)

I have heard of some ACC loss-of-control accidents on slippery roads. The scenario is this: You are driving on a busy freeway, and even though your speed is aet to 60mph the adaptive cruise control has you slowed down to 20 or 30 in traffic. Your exit is coming up, so you start into the exit lane. As soon as you do, the cruise notices that there are no cars in front of you and starts to accelerate while your front wheels are turned and your car slightly turning. Cue the loss of control spin.

This was a long time ago, in the early days of ACC. I imagine they have some safety features now that prevent this kind of thing, but I’m not sure. I don’t like systems that change the speed of the car without warning and without driver input.

As for cross lane warning, I have it and I also have it disabled. The false positives are annoying, but the false negatives are dangerous. Several times I had the system stay completely silent while people walked behind my car as I was backing up. Only the habit of shoulder checking kept me from hitting them.

The false positives can also be bad. Mine always beeps as I’m backing out of the garage. If I get conditioned to ignore the beeping, then if there is a real obstacle behind the car I won’t notice it.

If a safety system is not 100% reliable, it should be disabled or ignored so you don’t learn to rely on it.

Wow! I’ve had “false positives” when there was something crossing my path, but it was far away or on the other side of a barrier, and this not relevant. But I’ve never had a false negative, and never had a positive when there wasn’t anything moving in the path it looks at.

I would have disabled your system, too. But i love mine.

No safety system is 100% reliable. It comes down to fully understanding the system and its limitations and being an active participant in the operation of the vehicle.

I used to feel like my cruise control was accelerating into corners until I realised that if I’d driven that corner myself I would have subconsciously eased off the accelerator to bleed a bit of speed off. The CC was maintaining the set speed which was slightly fast for comfort and so the impression I got was that it was accelerating. As I got a better handle on my own driving style I was able to use the CC in a way that feels safe and comfortable but also relieves me from micromanaging my speed.

I haven’t owned a car with ACC but I have driven hire cars with it. My impression is that it would take some practice to understand where the system is useful, where it is not, and how to make it work for you rather than against you. In my short time in hire cars I turned it off. I found it either followed too closely or not closely enough.

My partner’s car has CTA while mine has a reversing camera. I would take the camera over the CTA any day. That said, you still have to physically look behind you. CTA and the camera have limitations that need to be understood and respected.

I use my cruise control a lot by the way. Any time I don’t have traffic immediately in front of me I will use it. Whether that’s in slow suburban streets or on the highway.

Impressive, even Pontius Pilate couldn’t manage that.

This would be my biggest fear with cross-traffic alert.

I have both. I do like the adaptive cruise, since it adjusts for cars going more slowly than you.

The cross-traffic alert is also quite good (funny thing: when you pull into a parking space and shift into park, it will go off at times when a car is passing behind you. That’s because it’s in reverse for a moment."

I pretty happy with all the safety alerts, though they are quite sensitive. If the temperature is below 40, it will warn you that roads might be icy, even if there’s been no precipitation in days.

To my way of thinking, if the cross traffic sensor doesn’t work 100% of the time, you have to ignore it and always check. It’s like covering an inop gauge in an aircraft - you cover it so it doesn’t lead you astray. You don’t want to lose the shoulder-checking habit if the alternative isn’t 100% safe, and if you are shoulder checking anyway you dob’t need CTA.

Backup cameras are completely different, as they add value and safety because they can show you risks you just canKt see anynother way, like a dog sitting behind the car.

My car is a 2014 Ford Escape. Maybebthey just had flaky CTA then.

Because the camera on the bumper is better positioned than i am, my cross traffic alert routinely warns me of things before i can see them. I still look, too. (i look over my shoulder in addition to looking at the backup camera, as well.) But it adds information, and it’s very helpful.

I would never use a CTA to replace shoulder checking. It should just be used to add awareness, not replace what you already do. It can sense a lot of objects you can’t see but you can also see things it can’t sense.

Not in any car with ACC I’ve driven.

I have both and I would give up adaptive cruise control before I gave up cross traffic alert.

mmm

This. CTA isn’t for “I don’t have to look.”

CTA is for “OHSHIT, I looked and still missed seeing something!”

Exactly! And it’s meant i gently braked on my sloped driveway, instead of breaking hard, several times.

How can you tell if your brake lights are on when you’re driving?

^^^How can you tell the car in front of you has ACC and using it? And not simply riding the brakes?

I can’t, but in the last few years I’ve noticed an enormous uptick in the amount of time cars have their brake lights on. My grandfather drove two footed (so, he was always riding the brakes) and for whatever reason, since I noticed him doing that, I’ve always noticed when other drivers appear to be doing the same thing. IMHO, going from seeing someone do it here and there to seeing it happen nearly anytime I’m on the freeway suggests,to me, it’s related to modern cars. But I could well be wrong. It’s very possible more people are riding their brakes these days.

I should note that EVs will do this as well (outside of ACC usage). When I let off the accelerator, my brake lights come on as the regen brakes kick in, even with my foot not touching the brake pedal.

But, the point is, that using ACC will turn your brake lights on when it’s slowing you down.

^^^Thank you very much for the explanation.
And have a Merry Christmas.

Dash display. Confirmed by tailing my wife.

I would far rather have cross traffic alert than adaptive cruise control. We live on a street that can be surprisingly busy, and in which a lot of drivers routinely ignore the 40 km/H limit. So a car can come blasting along which I have not noticed as I come crawling out of my driveway. The CTA picks them up every time. (My personal circumstances have something to do with this too, in that my neck is very stiff due to ankylosing spondylitis, and I simply can’t turn my head very far in either direction.)

As for cruise control, we almost never get to use this. The most freeway driving we routinely do is along the Geelong Road, which always has so much traffic on it that CC is irrelevant. But as above, YMMV.

But he handled Cross traffic pretty well.

To everyone else, thanks for all your input! Although, now I’m leaning towards a Toyota Prius which has both so I may not have to choose after all :flushed:.