Adopting a pet: What to expect from a home visit?

I too adopted a greyhound from Greyhound Pets of America many years ago, and they did a home visit. We didn’t have a fenced in yard, & I had 3 young children, and many stairs. I also had 3 huge picture windows which they told me to watch out for. Two days later I found out why. My greyhound saw her reflection, charged the window & nearly knocked herself out in the process. Other than that, it worked out beautifully. We never fenced our yard, but we let her run in a gated park everyday. She learned to climb our many stairs, no problem. She was smart enough to never charge the picture window again. And, she loved my young children & they loved her. The woman who brought us the greyhound told us that the life expectancy of a racing greyhound was about 9 yrs old. Our greyhound lived to age 15 years old. The whole point is, we had no problem with the home visit for adoption, & enjoyed many wonderful yrs with our adopted greyhound. On the other hand, listen to this strange story. My cousin, who always had a dog, & took great care of them, applied to adopt a dog online. They too, required a home visit. My cousin had a huge, gorgeous, brand new home at the end of a cul-de-sac, and her large yard was all fenced in. She lived in a lovely country setting with 2 neighbors nearby, a doctor, & a lawyer. The woman who did the home visit, refused my cousin a dog because she said that the road leading to my cousin’s street (3 miles away), had one house with peeling paint, & they couldn’t place a dog near a neighborhood like that. Crazy, isn’t it? A week later, my cousin adopted a black lab from the city pound. The pound told her that the dog was sweet & loved to chase sticks. So, after getting to know the dog for a few days, my cousin started throwing sticks for the lab to bring back. On the 3rd throw, the dog attacked my cousin & nearly killed her. She was in the hospital, & the police took the dog away. When she was better, she bought an $800 poodle puppy & they have lived happily ever after.

I don’t suppose fluiddruid is still looking for those same answers now, 3+ years later. In case this is still of interest to anyone, here is an adoption application from one local rescue group, The Humane Society of Stanislaus County (Ca). It asks a lot of the types of questions that might also be covered on an inspection.

Application to Adopt a Pet (Note that the question are almost all dog-specific.)

Wow, what a fluke! Adopting a dog seldom results in this kind of experience; it’s typically more reliable than buying from a breeder. Rescues and shelters have no financial incentive to “move product” and a near-limitless supply of dogs from which to select the best.

And to match your anecdote, my sister has a poodle she bought from a breeder; the little miniature poodle is now registered with Animal Control as a dangerous dog.

We have adopted multiple dogs from the pound and never had a problem with any of them. Our current two:

Sadie, a pit bull mix who was abused and shot (still has three shotgun pellets in her) and loves everyone she meets – we call her “the mayor” because she has to greet everyone in the neighborhood.

Simone, an American Pit Bull Terrier who was found starving on the street. She loves to be a lapdog, and she is nurturing by nature, looking after other dogs and encouraging them when she walks for charity (like the Police 5k K-9 Krawl, where she recently saved the police chief’s dog from running into the highway, and the Poplar Spring Run for the Animals, where she came in first and attracted many admirers).

To sum up: “reputable” breeder’s miniature poodle = registered dangerous dog; starving and abused pit bulls from the pound = friendly and popular participants in their community.

Isn’t it over the top to require that a dog won’t sleep in a garage?

Maximum number of children??? Or even no children???

I know this is old, but I would have gone to a different shelter. I mean really, a home visit? I adopted a human and the home visit wasn’t that big of a deal. I guess I can understand this a little for a first time dog adopter, but other than matching people with the right type of dog for the size of their home I think this kind of thing is overkill. And it can hit the extremes, a shelter near here was taken over because the operators didn’t think anyone was good enough to adopt their charges and the place was piling up with unplaced animals. The end result was all newly found homeless animals had to go to kill shelters, which would have been Blackjack’s fate if I didn’t let him come live with me.

No, there is nothing wrong with having your dog sleep in the garage, as long as it’s not too hot or cold, there is plenty of ventilation, and all chemicals and other dangerous things are stored safely away.

Heh, I had a home visit when I wanted to adopt a cat from the RSPCA. Seemed a bit over the top to me (two people came and did the visit, TWO PEOPLE) but it only took about 15 minutes.

I can comment a bit on this as I recently had a home visit. I have a chihuahua (which I bought from a pet store, bad bad I know) and have been looking for a second one. This time I decided, now that I know better, I would adopt from a shelter or rescue.

A few months ago found an animal rescue that had a chihuahua that we liked, and they arranged for us to meet the foster mom with the dog at a local PetSmart to see how the two got along. This particular rescue required me to fill out an application, and have it approved, prior to meeting, but no home visit was required. They said if we liked the dog we could take her right away. Unfortunately the meeting didn’t work out as the dog didn’t seem a good match for ours regarding temperament and energy level.

Then I recently found anther chihuahua from a local rescue. They also required an application prior to meeting. In speaking with the foster mom, she offered to bring the dog to our house for the meeting, since a home visit was required anyway. When she came, we kept the dogs in the kitchen to see how they’d interact. My husband asked her if she wanted to see the rest of the house, but she said it wasn’t necessary as she could see that we had a “good home.” So I gathered that in this case, the home visit was just a way to make sure that we weren’t hoarders with a hundred cats and no room to move, or something like that.

I have heard stories about some shelters/rescues not adopting to people who don’t have a fenced in yard. We do not have one, and when I mentioned it to the foster mom she didn’t seem bothered by it. So I think there is a lot of variation in what the requirements are to adopt.

And I’m happy to report that the meeting between the two dogs did go well, and our new addition will be joining us on Friday. :slight_smile:

Edited to add: Arrgh, zombie! :smack: And I usually check the dates too. Hopefully someone else finds the info useful.

It’s safer for the inspectors to go in pairs. Less likely to be abducted, murdered, etc. I don’t think it’s any reflection on you or adopters in general.

StG

We adopted Tonka from N.O.A.H. The SO’s coworker tried to adopt a pet from the local Humane Society, but she was turned down for some reason. (Smoker? I don’t know.) At N.O.A.H. we just went in, chose Tonka*, filled out the paperwork, and went home with him. He’s a sweetie. Can’t see why he wasn’t adopted before. He’s snoozing on the back of the couch as I sit here working. (Or not working, at the moment. But I’ll go back to the data now.)

*The SO researched the website to find out which cats were in the shelter or shelters longest. Tonka was #2. We were going to adopt the one that had been there the longest and Tonka, but the day we arrived the longest-term cat had been adopted that very morning.

Why the confusion?

There are some dogs whom the evaluators think would not do well in homes with children, or homes with multiple rambunctious children. Evaluators try to identify potential problems and plan around them. This sort of restriction protects children, the dog(s), and the reputation of the rescue or shelter.

Hi. I think I was trying to show the extremes that can happen. Normal home vs with my greyhound, my cousin’s over the top refusal for adoption due to house with peeling paint 3 miles away, no home vs for the shelter lab who turned out to be dangerous, & purchase of dog for $800, requiring no home vs. My daughter has 3 Pit Bulls too. I call them sloppy babies because they drool and try to all climb in my lap at the same time. They think they are lap dogs & are sooo sweet. I adopted a Miniature Pinscher who was considered dangerous when she was 3. She came from a badly abusive home. I had to turn her around if I wanted to keep her. In the first couple weeks we had some close calls, but I worked with her intensively. In 3 months, I had the sweetest dog ever. She became laid back & even tolerant of rambunctious children. She died a week ago at age 14, & the smartest, sweetest dog ever. I wish the “dangerous” mini-poodle that you mentioned lived near me because I believe I could turn that dog around. I use similar training as The Dog Whisperer with extra love on top. I would love to work with that dog. Mini dogs are my expertise.

All of our dog requirements are case by case. Adopting a Australian shepard? Please have a large fenced in yard. Adopting a 5 yr old shih tzu? A fenced yard is probably not going to make that much of a difference.

Kids are also case by case. Some dogs are not going to be great with kids, so if you apply for a Shiba Inu and have 4 kids under 10, we may suggest a different dog. We may have a black lab that loves kids.