Advantages of being overweight

Uh, they are hot and sweaty, like anyone else wearing a lot of insulation.

I don’t think this thread is about really good reasons to get fat. Seems like just a fun thought exercise about the benefits of such. No one is suggesting it’s an all-around great way to live or anything.

On a bench seat on a bus, you can have the whole place to yourself. There isn’t room for others.

I was truly curious how much more miserable the extra insulation would make someone. I’ve been 10 pounds lighter and 10 pounds heavier than I am right now. I’m not sure if I could tell the difference between my heaviest and lightest.

Save lots of money by not dating as much, especially while in school. Stay home, studying, get better grades, get better jobs, make more money.

A fat guy will win in the belly womp.

No reason to believe this wouldn’t be the case - see the link in the OP, there’s at least one documented case of fat saving someone in a stabbing and that took me about 3 seconds on Google. The further away a sharp pointy thing is from the heart, liver, etc the better.

See this fight between Gracie and Akebono; Gracie weighing in at 180-lbs and Abebono at 486. Gracie wins in an arm lock. See also this match - a 600lbs (!) fighter vs 169lbs MMA fighter, the smaller man doesn’t even know where to start - but eventually superior mobility wears the bigger man out. So I don’t think it’s worth the trade-off.

Quite right; like the example of smoking in the classic column. Everyone knows it’s bad for ya, but are there any silver linings? According to the New Scientist publication Does Anything Eat Wasps? to have enough fat to stop a bullet you’d have to weigh at least 650kg, at which point the advantage of potentially stopping a bullet is outweighed (no pun intended) by being unable to move and having your cardiovascular system crying for mercy.

I saw an episode of a TV show where a fitness trainer had to wear a fat suit to simulate the weight of his obese clients, and he couldn’t even move in it. It made me wonder if an obese person who abruptly lost weight would be extraordinarily strong, relatively speaking.

This sounds to me like one of those explanations rooted in simplistic folk (mis)understandings of evolutionary biology. I would be very surprised if your claim were true, although i’ve been wrong before, and am perfectly willing to be convinced if you have any evidence.

Another advantage is that you can have the nickname “Slim”. Most Slims I’ve met weren’t.

As far as general mortality goes, isn’t part of the statistical ‘advantage’ of being ‘overweight’ just that some fraction of the skinny people are thin because they’re sick/dying/not thriving for one reason or another?
Sort of like, with all the chemo patients, bald people probably have a relatively high mortality, but that doesn’t mean that having hair is directly advantageous.

Only if you exercise to maintain some muscle and eat properly. Many of the people you see on TV who garner the lions share of the attention are ones that lost the weight quickly thru some crazy diet with minimal exercising (like walking); they lose a lot of muscle mass along with the fat. If you lose the weight slowly and do some weight training you can maintain some strength but you will not have bulging muscles, if only because of all of the loose skin that comes with the weight lost.

I’ve lost a hundred pounds before thru diet and walking and you look good in cloths, but when you take them off you have stretch marks and flabby skin hanging from your triceps, thighs and neck. Still, I looked good enough to get laid. :wink:

And as for the OP. There are no real advantages to being fat. Being fat sucks, no one seriously wishes to be fat.

If you’re fat then you wear bigger pants which make a better floatation device than skinny jeans.

It’s a matter of degree. Slightly overweight maybe. But I, for one, find physical contact with obese people off-putting.

Whereas I find the opposite. To each his own.

Fat is fluffy but often smelly.

when I was a child I was obese (I’ll consider myself overweight now, at BMI of 25) I accidentally took an extra strength Tylenol and when my mom called Poison Control she told them my weight (I think it was 105 lbs) at seven yrs old and they said there wasn’t much to worry as my bodymass could excrete that amount.

Overweight men are perceived as “more reliable, honest, and better able to cope with the pressures of public life.”

I wouldn’t say it cancels out the negative effects, but it’s something.

If you’re in love with a Chubby Chaser, then you’re in like Flynn.

Being fat in a famine does nothing for your longevity - you become lunch.:eek::smiley: