Advice on moving to London

I forgot to mention that Chalk Farm is only about 10 minutes’ walk from Primrose Hill. You’d probably never be able to afford Primrose Hill, but you can go there and pretend you’re one of the beautiful people, and shop in the nice delis and interior design shops. There are some really pleasant pub/restaurants there too.

I can pretend to live there - no need for me to pretend ´being beautiful :stuck_out_tongue:

Did I mention I was single? :smiley:

Nope…like I said feel free to email me (trying to keep this thread about getting advise where to live) :stuck_out_tongue:

I was just amused that a thread that had started with a vision of lazing in coffeehouses and lounging in parks had wound up in Kentish Town. Which doesn’t really contain either. :slight_smile:

Well if I have to travel a few blocks or take the tube for a station to laze and lounge then that’s fine with me :slight_smile:

Never come to USA-you’re in for a shock re public transport. The (ok, 3) times I’ve been to UK, I have found the public transportation to be fast, CLEAN, efficient, not that pricey and more frequent than anything here in Chicago. Apart from the smoking car that reeked like an ashtray (and I did not stay in), I have no complaints. The Tube is a miracle compared to the CTA.

oh, OP–good luck with the move!

I’d agree that the London transport system is given a bad press, it works well most of the time and it’s possible to traverse the entire city using it so at least it fulfils its main objective. I used to be a lot more down on it when I had to use an infrequent train line to get me from the suburbs into central London but now that I live further in on a transport hub I’m much more appreciative of it. Smoking on public transport is firmly a thing of the past.

The areas cited above (Camden, Kentish town etc) are well connected in terms of public transport.

Sofar I never had any problems with public transportation in London or UK in general…

Don’t worry, moaning about the transport infrastructure is a well-loved British past time. I happen to think the Tube - though crowded and expensive with ‘some’ delays, is actually very good - vast, comprehensive, with the newest spotlessest trains you’ll find anywhere.

And Mayor Ken has heaped money into the bus network so you’re now never more than a few minutes from the next bus that can take you all over the city.

Can’t really understand why anyone still has a car in London (including me, but then I just wanted a big girl’s toy).

In some areas of the US, it’s more like "What public transport? :dubious: "

I live in Chalk Farm and love it as a location. Decent tube and bus links, overground nearby, the right mix of useful shops and bars/pubs/restaurants. Camden is near enough to visit and far enough away to avoid the worst of it. Primrose Hill is overpriced and pretentious, but very pleasant.

Happy to give advice on the area or specific properties.

Thanks for the offer - if I get the job and know more about my pay I will definitely get in contact.

Well I verbally accepted the job today…Tomorrow we will discuss a starting date and then the stress can start.

Once again thanks for all the advise

Coolio! We need more Blighty-based dopers.

Jealous, jealous, jealous… Herzlichen Gluckwunsch! (sorry, no idea how to get an umlaut over here)

Not quite sure whether I should a new thread or not but…

For the UK-Dopers…What percentage of my gross pay will be left after your typical social security etc deductions? What is considered a typical rent/net salary ratio for London? I’m trying to figure out what will be my rent-range

You get a personal allowance of £5,400 (income that is tax free), income tax is 22% up to £34,000 and 40% for anything over £34,000 (basically add your PA onto your earnings to see what rate of tax you’ll be paying). National insurance is about 5%.

In terms of rent range, that’s a bit trickier, it depends on what you’re pitching at. A double room in a house/flat share ranges from £100 to £200 a week, whereas a studio/1 bed flat is about between £150 a week to £500 a week. Obviously you tend to pay higher up the scale depending on your earnings. As a rough guide you shouldn’t be looking to pay more than a third of your after tax earnings on rent. If that sounds like a lot I would point out that London is quite an expensive place to live in, relative to other cities in the UK and on the continent.

One thing to be aware of is that your “rent” may or may not include bills and council tax, which can be hefty.

Also, if you are looking to rent a place yourself the hoops (and deposit) that letting agents require can be significant - particularly if you are newly landed on this isle.

Just a suggestion, but it may be worth looking for a short term flatshare (say 3 months) on gumtree or somewhere that may not be great, but gives you time to get a bit acclimatised and work out what you want to do after that.

Definitely second London though - Luton is a shitehole of epic proportions - even worse than my own Hertfordshire birthtown Stevenage. Plus the inverse commute (London -> Luton) is easy enough to do.

London IS expensive, but it IS worth it. And there are plenty of current (and ex) dopers around who’ll buy you drinks and help you acclimatise. :smiley:

(Nads Messageboard is where many can be found when they aren’t on here)

I forgot to mention council tax, although if you’re in a flatshare it could be considered as part of the bills (some rentals are listed as £pw including bills, some exclusive - one to watch for). Also in terms of deposits some people are just ridiculous with what they ask for i.e. six week’s rent up front plus a month’s deposit = in the region of £1500-3000. A month’s rent up front as deposit is the least you’d expect to pay so I hope you’ve got some money saved.

Also BEWARE SCAMS. I hope it goes without saying but anyone who asks you to deposit money into an account just to have a look at a flat (especially if that account is a western union one) is probably some Nigerian looking to steal from you. This is pertinent if you’re planning to use gumtree.com as this happened recently to someone I know.

Commuting against the flow is genrally held to be a great idea wherever you’re doing it to, sometimes you’re the only person on the train.