Advice on travelling I-95 from DC to CT next Thursday

I don’t think that was it. I think I would have remembered the Deer Crossing. :slight_smile: I was going from Rockville, MD to Ocean City, MD, if that’s helpful.

Delaware memorial bridge is kind of like driving over a really big hill. It goes up and up and up, then it peaks and you go down and down and down. It’s a big sturdy feeling bridge, over half a mile long. The Tappan Zee stays low along the water for a good 2 miles, over the pylons Green Bean mentioned, then it goes up and over the “superstructure” and in to the tolls. Not much of a span, it just keeps going and going.

FTR, don’t ever go on the Chesapeke Bay Bridge/Tunnel system. At many points, it’s just you, the road, and the water, THAT is kinda creepy.

Whatever you do, if you don’t like bridges, don’t make a wrong turn and end up on this one

http://www.pobonline.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/coverstory/BNPCoverStoryItem/0,2340,108886,00.html

:smiley:
(Also discussed here http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=258759&highlight=bridge+valley)
As for the C & D Canal, my favourite span crossing the water is the St George’s Bridge near Delaware City, at least the one that was in place in the early 70s – it’s not as long as the DMB, but it also goes up and up and curves slightly. I remember when I was very wee we’d cross it to go down the beach, and always stop at a fuel station at it’s base – in the heat haze, it looked just beautiful curving up and away into the air. One could see it for miles on the return trip, the top peeking up and over the horizon as the road dipped and rose. There are a number of lovely bridges across that canal; the old black railway bridge next to the Summit Bridge is striking, too.

Is the old St George’s Bridge gone? Perhaps actually I don’t wish to know…

ITS base…my nostalgia overwhelmed my grammar obviously…

That’s the one across the middle of the bay, the one I described as “sort of from Annapolis to Salisbury.” The other one is immensely long, dives underwater for a portion (through a tunnel, of course), and you get to it by going down US 13 along the length of the Delmarva Peninsula and then across the water to Norfolk VA.

This is spooky. I’ll be taking 95 in the opposite direction the same day :slight_smile: At some point, we will no doubt pass each other!

I am going from New Hampshire to Centreville, VA.

I also second going across the Tappan Zee Bridge–much easier than dealing with the NYC crappola.

And if your car plunges off the Tappan Zee, which it might, you have a better chance of surviving than if you plunge off either level of the George Washington bridge.

If you have an M-Tag, you don’t need to worry about carrying cash for tolls - at least up to NYC (as far as I have been), it’s accepted at the EZ Pass lanes.

They’ve been working on I-95 just south of the Ft. Henry tunnel. Take the Harbor tunnel. Wave as you pass Johns Hopkins Bayview, 'cause that’s sort of my general area.

Have a nice trip!

That is so totally cool; I’ll finally have my chance to say “Hi Opal”!

How was your drive? Mine was 600+ miles and took almost 12 hours. Ran into traffic outside of B’more and then got stuck in DC beltway traffic. Blah.