Aeronautical Engineering question...

Getting off the subject: That surprised most of the teams, too, as I heard reported. Their computer simulations had mostly shown that the optimum speed was with minimum downforce, but pre-race testing found the opposite. I heard that Williams actually found the difference between minimum wing and maximum wing was only about 1 second.

Oh, and for anyone asking about my credentials, I am indeed an aerospace engineer. It might surprise anyone without a technical background to know of the vast range of terms that are vital in various industries and scientific specialties, but are unknown outside of it. The words “turbulate,” “turbulator,” and “turbulation” are in fact in common use in this industry, among many others. There are a number of complete dictionaries in print full of only technical terms, even with those terms limited to specific specialties.

Now, does anyone know how to activate the Bozo Filter on this board? Thanks.

ElvisL1ves and Omniscient, feel free to debate the meaning and useage of words like “turbulate” to your heart’s content here. Please do not feel free to call each other “stroke boy” (I think that’s an insult) and “bozo” in this forum. If you want to insult each other, take it to the Pit.

This has been a message from your friendly neighborhood GQ moderator.

I just had to share this…from the ‘…Cool european cars…’ thread.
Corbin motors has created a little electric vehicle that is practically a tricycle. They have incorporated dimples on the back of the front fenders of the vehicle. I didn’t see it anywhere else on the ‘car’. I wonder if they’ve demonstrated a significant benefit to doing this, or whether it simply matches the image of the car.

I think NASA modified a (or the) F16XL to experiment with this. Seems to be quite promising.

cantara, my gut instinct would be that the dimples are for a stylish effect, not an aerodynamic one. This vehicle probbaly isn’t going to be traveling at a speed where an efficient turbulent boundry layer could be generated. Also the dimples seem too big for the speed and surface area we’re considering.

As always, its tough to say anything for certain without there being any scientific analysis, but when one considers that the website doesn’t boast about the technology of using these dimples, I’m prone to be skeptical. I’m thinking form outweighs function on this one, much like the vast majority of rear trunklid spoilers.

Geez. I’m a private pilot, and I have barely understood three words in this whole thread. I better go study…