Afraid of Bears whilst Camping? Why not bring a Portable Electric Fence?

I don’t know if I agree with your uncle’s advice. If I’m being charged and have teo shoot I would like to be making my seond or third magazine change by the time the chargee reaches my gun barrel. I trust my aim and I train so that I can in stressful situations.

If you’re being charged by a griz you won’t have time to swap magazines. Them suckers is fast.

You see I don’t trust my aim. So I’d probably fire a few rounds then barrel a few between his shoulders if I could. Additionally, my wife is packing the same side arm as I am, so I’m sure we’d both be firing away!

I’ve had to chase bears off our property a few times. I always make sure I’m real close to a door to the house or a vehicle so I have an escape.

When yelling doesn’t scare them off I will fire into a tree in front and to the side of the bear. Even with a .357, and a medium sized black bear, I make damn sure I will be able to get to cover before it could reach me. The last thing I want to do is shoot one of these guys. If I could even hit a charging bear. The gun is more of a noise maker, and a last resort if for some reason I could not get away, or a bear charged through a door or window if I have to retreat (we have floor to ceiling windows in our house).

I have a high power lever action, but its difficult to recover from for a second shot. I feel a bit more comfortable with the .357 in these situations. It’s sort of a wash.

So far so good.