Agatha Christie question: England in the 1920s and female domestic servants' names

I was going to mention that too! Also a similar reference in Little Women. Aunt March’s lady’s maid was named Estelle, but agreed to be called Esther “on the condition that she would not be asked to change her religion.” :eek:

I remember hearing about Pullman Porters being called George, after the owner of the Pullman Sleeping Car Company.

You know how some buildings used to have a service entrance? My parents’ apartment building has a service elevator that domestics and dogs have to use (plus, anyone carrying laundry up and down, also if you’re going up to the pool).

The servant girl in the Lizzie Borden house was commonly called “Maggie” rather than her name of Bridget. Mostly because their previous servant had been called Maggie, and it wasn’t worth the trouble to them to learn a new name – the servant could just learn to answer to a different name.

Of course, this was in 1892. You probably couldn’t do that today in America.

But I have talked to several residents of India on tech support lines who are ordered to use ‘american’ names.

Irish-American maids were routinely called “Bridget” no matter what their actual name was.

The question is though, have any of them taken names like Shaniqua, Laquisha, Maria, Angelique, Antonio, Jose, Shaquille or the like? :smiley: I might, if I were asked to take an “American” name. Certainly the company wouldn’t be so impolitic as to demand it be of a particular American ethinicity, would they?