Aging While Female

What the fuck are you talking about? Sure, it is possible for her to be discriminated against. I don’t think catching flak when you moon people is discrimination. What subsection of society has carte blanche on mooning people?

Depends on the kind of flak. It appears that Madonna is of the opinion that the flak in question is less “that’s scandalous, stop it!” and more “you’re old and thus you’re ugly and ugly women should go away, stop it!” Those are substantively different kinds of flak.

Admittedly, she could be mischaracterizing the situation, but if she’s hearing “you’re too old to be flashing your ass!”, then she kind of isn’t.

She should talk to Helen Mirren.

In an “old enough to know better” sense, that actually isn’t that crazy.

It’s crazy to say it now. She was old enough to know better thirty years ago.

The double standard is her claim that she’s being unfairly judged, when in fact the harshest judgments are precisely the ones that are spot-on. What 14-year-old boys currently think of Madonna is the ultimate truth of Madonna, and she prefers to try to deflect that or pretend it’s something else. But she made her bed etc.

That’s not what “double standard” means, but whatever - my bigger issue is, since when do we use the opinions of 14 year old boys as the basis for assessing the quality of pop culture icons for a generation and a half prior? Do we do it for every entertainer? If not, that is a double standard.

(Are 14-year-old boys really the critics she’s responding to? Seriously?)

The problem with Madonna using Spielberg and Picasso as counter-examples is that neither Spielberg nor Picasso’s skills (movie-directing and painting) have anything to do with physical appearance or are skills that are affected by aging (unless dementia or something similar comes along.) Not saying that the treatment Madonna gets is necessarily fair, but she is comparing apples to oranges.

If she gets to take one of her concert bras back with her, she could jump start the Bronze Age!

I’m not sure why you want her to wear boring men’s clothing while standing still and delivering a deadpan show. Would the Stones show be as much of a success if they all stood around wearing golf shirts and cargo pants, moving as little as possible while delivering their music? WTF is your point with this example?

Her shows are mainly about her music, which has been successful for more than thirty years, with some pageantry and eroticism added to it. They are not mainly about sexual display – where to you get that? Do you think it’s a strip show or something?

She is a serious artist and has reinvented herself, her style, and her music multiple times over the course of her very varied career. If you don’t like her music, that’s fine, but don’t say she’s not a serious artist. And, all of this is off the main point – male performers parade around half-dressed while prancing around the stage into their '60s and '70s. No one is telling Jagger or Kiedis they needs to be more discreet.

When I did a google search for “jagger still touring”, I get 2 ticket sites then this:
The Rolling Stones are still on tour – something is very wrong with our culture

Madonna can always hire young and attractive backup dancers, in case you’re worried about going to a concert and not seeing any T&A.

So it seems that the Rolling Stones get mocked in much the same way as Madonna does.

Well, it was pretty bizarre that people were using Jagger as an example. They must be living under a rock to not have heard multiple versions of “the Stones are super old and gross”.

Maybe this post of yours has shown me why I really shouldn’t have posted anything in this thread. If I was offered free tickets to a Madonna concert, I’d be scrambling to find excuses so I could stay home…

I must be living under a rock. Of course, Anthony Kiedis is much closer in age (56 vs 60) to Madonna than Jagger (75(!)).

Well, I haven’t been to a Madonna concert, and I probably won’t because I despise her as a human being and have for a long time. (Pretty much since her Letterman appearances).

However, IF I went to one, it would be because I like her music, which I do (her old stuff, at least), and to be able to say I did. I don’t deny that she’s a pop icon that deserves respect as an artist.

But I wouldn’t go to ogle over her or watch her shake her ass. You’d really have to be up close to appreciate that anyway, and from a distance she looks like any other woman. If she wants to do that, fine. Do it til you break a hip.

I saw a youtube video of her singing at a political rally sometime around the 2016 election. She sounded AWFUL. She sounds good (but not great) in studio recordings. She produced (or wrote or cowrote or whatever) some incredible songs. She got a lot of extra oomph from her looks. A guy wouldn’t. I guess it was sexist all along. The looks and youth of a female are a large part of most guys attraction to her. I guess that is almost “logically bad”. But what’s the remedy?

Madonna started genre of (for females) ‘musical productions’ starring an individual performer. Yeah, her voice was ok, but folks went to the concerts to see her perform an act, not sing a song or two.

Now we have Katy Perry, Pink and similar following in her footsteps…

I am personally not a Madonna fan, but admire her energy, her fortitude and her attitude. Sixty? YOU GO GIRL…you shake that tushie and flash those boobs for as long as you want to.

Haters gonna hate.

Madonna has always been about a sort of third wave feminism that asserts her control over her own sexuality, regardless of societal conventions that deemed flaunting it to be inappropriate. This is more of the same. She is saying that even at the age of 60 she is a sexual woman and she is going to behave like she likes and if you don’t like it you can go suck eggs.