"Ain't no female fix my man a plate. Mmmm, mmmmm..."

It isn’t hard to explain code switching. It’s common enough but not everyone knows that there is name or why folks do it. Im not sure what the personal attacks add.

I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t code switch. Even the frigging Queen of England apparently does it.

OK, that I gotta know more about. Also, is there audio ? Tell me there’s audio of Queenie saying “What the fuck, dude ?” to Philip. Lie to me if you have to.

The OP was simply making an observation.

So observations are now racist? :dubious:

rajah dat.

Sometimes they forget to do it, or involuntarily code-switch to an inappropriate mode.

On a recent flight, the cabin attendant was serving drinks when he accidentally spilled a glass of orange juice right in my lap. I kept my cool, but he instantly yelled “oh SHIT”, a phrase that’s not generally an accepted part of language in the hospitality industry. I wasn’t angry - I mean hey, shit happens, and ultimately he did comp me and my wife with some FF mileage. If anything, his spontaneous outburst added a comical element to the story.

No, “observations” are not automatically racist. Couching those observations in racist terms is, however. And even if innocuously mean, “ghetto talk” is a racist term.

Not as extreme as that, but in this video,check out her answer to the question at about 11:00.

It’s mostly based off how often people around Balmoral seem to bump into her and assume she’s just an ordinary old lady. And various TV documentaries.

As a store cashier, I see and hear this every day. Two customers on line will be talking to each other in a form of English that I cannot understand, and then one of them will speak to me in a different tone of voice and perfect English.

The observation, no, the use of the phrase “Ghetto English”, yes.

Please :rolleyes:

Children and adolescents code-switch all the time. At home in the UK it may well be RP, and at school whatever accent and slang dominates locally, and much the same happens in France and Germany. And then again, there’s the question of bilingual societies, e.g., in Wales.

Ah yes, the portrait where “the teeth follow you round the room” by the artist we do not mention…

Please tell me you don’t really expect us to believe this is a sincere question :dubious:

My child literally has two accents - British (everywhere but home) and American (at home). Occasionally we get to hear her British one - it’s funny but unsettling.

He was simply typing words.

So words are now insincere?

insincere…

[ˌinsənˈsir]

ADJECTIVE

not expressing genuine feelings.

This thing is a mess so I’m going to close it until I’m not on the road and it can get sorted out.

Moderating:

I apologize for not getting back to this sooner. Blame a combination of life getting in the way and having to discuss the banning of the OP to the other Mods. I’ll give back 25% of my salary in penance.

As I announced in ATMB the OP of this thread has been banned for trolling therefore the thread will not be reopened. If someone wishes to open a thread on code switching go right ahead.

At this point I would like to mention that this thread was only reported by one person for what the OP posted prior to me closing it. And it wasn’t someone who commented in the thread. We did received multiple reports about some of the comments. If you think someone is trolling or otherwise breaking the rules let us know. Most likely we will not be able to act unless you report it. Breaking the rules yourself is not a good solution.

If you insist.

This is an official warning for personal insults. Use the report function and save the insults for the Pit.

Ditto.