AirBnB veterans: are my expectations unrealistic?

Wot? No soft boiled egg with soldiers!?

:smiley:

My experience is that AirBnB rentals offer cheaper nightly rates than most hotels in the area. The question is, what do you get for that cheaper rates? And this is usually the rub, which as has already been noted, comes down to expectations versus the reality once you arrive. The AirBnB’s that are more expensive than hotels usually offer things a hotel cannot, like being able to rent an entire condo on the 40th floor of a Manhattan high rise with a view of Central Park - you can expect to pay big bucks for that. It’s something you just can’t get in a hotel.

AirBnB may not be hotel professionals but the more successful hosts learn pretty quickly. Many of them have a background in real estate, home remodeling, and other service-oriented industries, so they catch on quickly and tend to be responsive to the needs of guests. Those who don’t will not succeed at running an AirBnB

lol!

Nah, nothing like that. Usually by the time a review has been posted the guest is long gone - quite possibly overseas for all anyone knows.

The risk is that you will become a persona non grata on AirBnB. As a renter, you’ll be less likely to find willing hosts. And it could also come back to haunt you if you ever decide to open your own AirBnB as guests might assume you’re the complaining, nit picky type who will smile and collect their money while there and then sully their rep once you’re out. AirBnB is socially driven, which means that unlike a hotel, your past experiences will follow you around forever.

10 minutes is completely normal, as has already been shown upthread.

Considering that a space at a campground would be something like 30 bucks a night, I’d say 40 bucks and a real bed and a roof you didn’t have to set up yourself is a steal.

8 minutes is completely normal. 9 is just within the boundaries of decency. Just. 10 is just Caligulan excess.

I may not be taking the shower thing completely seriously. Although more than three minutes *is *just wastage.

3 minutes? I can’t even shampoo and rinse in three minutes…

What kind of Earth-hating reprobate keeps the water running while they’re shampooing their hair? Run the water 1 minute to wet yourself, shut it off, lather body and shampoo hair, run it again 1 minute to rinse off, shut it and condition, run one last minute to rinse off conditioner. Done.

Next you water-profligate wasters are going to tell me y’all keep the water running while you brush your teeth…

It comes right out of the tap forever! Why would you ever turn it off? :slight_smile:

In Iceland, hot water is essentially free. It’s piped from geothermal sources and unmetered. You can shower as long as you want.

That’s pretty cool, I didn’t know that. Not running out of hot water ever would be really nice.

Get wash cloth mittens and maybe some liquid soap, and just focus!

You turn our shower off, even for a few seconds, and when you turn it back on, you get 5 seconds OK, 10 seconds fffrreezing, then a 5 second burst of lava temperature before it returns to the temperature it’s set to.

I let it run while I shampoo. I actually don’t use conditioner, despite having waist length hair.

You weren’t, by chance, ever in the US Navy, were you?

Spoken like someone with short, short hair.

Nope. Just an AfrikaBurner used to only using 5l of water per day total in the desert…and that is good annual practice for living in a drought-stricken city with current 87 litre/person/day water restrictions.

I’ll have you know my enormous 'fro absorbs water like a sponge…

Interesting, never heard of AfrikaBurn before. Looks a lot like what I understand Burning Man here in the US was like, before it became the cool thing to do.

You described a “Navy shower” to a T; that’s why I asked.

It’s the local Burning Man offshoot.

Our whole city’s supposed to be showering like that, now.

OP, the $40 price is not going to get you the AirBNB places you prefer anywhere in the US; that’s a hostel price and you’ll get hostel-level accommodation.
When I leave an AirBNB review, I mostly ether affirm or dispute the listing b/c that’s what I look at when choosing a place. Was it as described or not? If not, were the hosts accessible and did they correct the problem? To me, those are the bones of an AirBNB that amenities are hung on. The other things you mention are those I take into account no matter where I travel b/c I was a Girl Scout for 7 years and a military spouse that traveled and moved a lot for 7 years; I would rather have but not use than need and not have.