AirForce Vs. Navy

Ok, quick round-up question.
In the Navy number posted by Friedo, I can’t tell if that includes helicopters. Does anybody have a clue?

If it does, it looks like the AF ends up pulling it out on this one.

I have here the Aviation Week and Space Technology Magazine “Aerospace Source Book” dated January 15, 2001, which includes the full inventory list of all the world’s military forces. Since the US takes 2 pages of small print, I’m not going to add them all up, but here are the fixed-wing types with quantities >25:

USAF (not including Reserves or Guard):
B-52H 85
C-17A 55
E-3B/C 32
F-15 all 614
KC-135 255
T-37B 417
A-10A 123
OA-10A 93
C-21A 76
C-5A/B 81
C-141 101
F-117A 53
U-2 31
C-130 all 191
F-16 all 777
KC-10A 59
AT-38B 93
T-38 416
C-12 all 32
T-1A 180
B-1B 73

USN (not including USMC or Reserve):
T-34C 307
F/A-18A 64
F/A-18B 27
F/A-18C 326
F/A-18D 45
T-45A 74
T-45C 34
C-2A 37
E-2C 58
EA-6B 95
F-14A 72
F-14B 72
F-14D 46
S-3B 112
P-3C 178
F-4S 30
UC-12B 26
T-2C 102

Just skimming the low-quantity types, there are still more under the USAF name, and adding Reserve and Guard assets would make the disparity greater. USMC aviation assets appear to be mostly helicopters anyway.

It would seem that the branch with the most fixed-wing aircraft is the one that was created for the purpose. The number of F-16’s alone in the USAF inventory nearly equals the entire USN inventory, for instance.

I’m sure the Navy does still have more ships than the Air Force or Army, though.

I know that one of the branches, I believe the Navy, has hundreds of remote controlled airplanes that are used as part of BDA (Battle Damage Assessment - hey I WATCHED those Gulf War briefings, baby!).

And, didn’t some Iraqi soldiers attempt surrender to one of those planes?

Hey, in case someone needs to run up the Navy total, there’s a weasel way to do it.

Hey, it’s just a suggestion! :slight_smile:

Someone better define “aircraft”, because Tomahawk Cruise missiles are actually small unmanned aircraft AND… Tomahawks are going to be used for future BDA, as opposed to the sloppily controlled remote controlled planes they use now.

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/missiles/wep-toma.html

Thanks Elvis. That looked like a lot of work:)

Just a few minutes, really - I had the book right there.

You’re welcome, though.

Philster:

The Navy doesn’t have “hundreds” of remote controlled aircraft, only a very few. They do come under a Program Manager Air (PMA) code at the Naval Air Systems Command, so I suppose they sort of count as aircraft “systems”, but IMHO they aren’t “real” aircraft in the sense that we’re accustomed to the term. As far as most people are concerned (other than in the RPV PMA), they’re pretty neat for model airplanes. Missiles —cruise or otherwise— aren’t considered aircraft (although I believe there’s a PMA for them, too) because they don’t come back for a second flight ----unless you screw up really badly.

Someone made a wisecrack about the USAF having old USAAC/USAAF uniforms… They apparently aren’t aware that there are new regs out that make the officer uniforms have sleeve cuff stripes like the Navy or USCG, except in white (vice gold). I hear they USAF folks don’t like the chnage, but then I don’t think anyone ever likes uniform changes at first.

Personally, I never cared for the purply-blue color of USAF uniforms and don’t think the white stripes look so good on them. I’d like to see them go with the RAF/RAAF/RNZAF style uniforms and rank insignia.

Note: I’m a Navy partisan.

I would disagree and label them “real aircraft”. I have a better chance of proving they are real aircraft than you have of proving they aren’t, especially in terms of a bet. The military will be using more un-manned aircraft, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t aircraft. So what…they’re small, but they are aircraft.

Also, “in service” is important, because if you start counting out of service aircraft, numbers change.

Additionally, I learned that the remote controlled airplanes were purchased in a large quantity for testing, etc. They didn’t run down to the local hobby shop and pick up two or three. I’m sure a few are in use, some are in testing, and some are out of service.

The lesson to the bettors is such: Define the bet and the betting terms more clearly. :slight_smile:

The technical term (the term used by the services) for remote controlled “aircraft” currently is “RPV”: Remotely Piloted Vehicle. The word “Aircraft” does not occur therein. It has been proposed that RPV could engage in tasks other than recon and comm relay, and so —say their proponents-- engage in actual direct combat activities, making them “UCAVs”: Unmanned Air Combat Vehicles. No “Aircraft” in that name, either. The services don’t regard them (RPVs/UCAVs) as “aircraft”. Further, RPV operators are not pilots: they are not required to wear wings, are not required to have been flight trained, do not collect flight pay, etc., etc. While an RPV operator could also be a pilot, there is no requirement for them to be such.

BTW, the fact that the Navy has a PMA for RPVs is immaterial, as they have a PMA for Air Launched Missiles and also for ground support equipment.

Dude, read the OP.

What is an F16 - is that a airplane?

What is a remote controlled airplane? Is that an airplane?

You have incredible knowledge of the Navy’s technical designation for aircraft, air vehicles, unmanned air vehicles, monkey operated sling shot vehicles, alien operated saucers, etc.

A lot yes, but they also make up several F/A-18 squaddrons on navy carriers and all the AV-8 Harrier squadrons.

KC-130 Hercules
EA-6B Prowlers
C-12 Huron
C-9 Skytrain

in addition to the

AV-8B Harriers
F/A-18 Hornets

UH-1 "Huey"s
AH-1 Cobras
CH-46 Sea Knights
CH-53 Sea Stallions

I say the USMC has more fixed wing than rotary wing assets, and the Navy and Marine Corps fixed AND rotary assets put together do not come close to the Air Force fixed wing assets alone.

But what do I know?

Major UncleBill
USMCR

Same source as before, looking at USMC (not Reserve) only, but the whole inventory this time:

Marine helicopters:
AH-1W 148
UH-1 and HH-1 78
CH-46E and HH-46D 213
CH-53 and MH-53 181
VH-3D 11
VH-60N 8

Marine fixed-wing:
AV-8B and TAV-8B 132
F/A-18 all 219
EA-6B 20
KC-130 all 49
C-9B 2
UC-12 all 11

Marine tiltrotor:
MV-22B 5

The helo jockeys win this one, 639 to 433.

Not to disagree with you, but aren’t all the Air Force’s assets fixed-wing?

No, the AF has some helis, mostly for SAR (search and rescue) units.

No way dude.
The bet was specifically about airPLANES not air DRONES.

To be a plane, it has to carry a minumum of one person.

Merriam Webster - Main Entry: air.plane
Pronunciation: 'ar-"plAn, 'er-
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of aeroplane
Date: 1907
: a powered heavier-than-air aircraft that has fixed wings from which it derives most of its lift