Airliner circles to dump fuel before crash landing do they still serve drinks?

Machine Elf: I agree with everything you said. But to expand further on just this:

This takes us full circle back to the OP & some comments about drunks surviving car accidents better than sober people …

Aircraft accidents and car accidents are very different. Some aircraft accidents, like flying into a mountainside, are 100% unsurvivable, period. It doesn’t matter what anybody on board does; once the impact starts, its all over.

But even a pretty nasty landing accident as shown in the NASA test is fully survivable up to the point the airplane stops moving. Not only survivable, but survivable with almost no injuries. Some folks will be sitting right where the airplane breaks open or hits something solid. Those unlucky folks will be killed or gravely injured. This is often the fate of the pilots who are, after all, the first ones to arrive at the scene of the crash.

But for everybody else, the accident is actually much more gentle than a typical car accident such as an intersection T-Bone at 45 mph or drifting /swerving off the side of the freeway at 70. Injuries don’t come from speed, they come from sudden deceleration.

The purported advantages of drunks in car accidents stems entirely from them being loose & floppy & clueless & so better able to absorb high decelerations. Which are, by and large, absent in survivable aircraft accidents.
After the noise stops in a car accident, there’s not much need for a quick exit in most cases. In fact the smart thing to do is to take a few seconds to clear your head, then check yourself for injuries without moving more than necessary, *then *decide whether egressing or staying put is safer / healthier.

OTOH, in a typical takeoff / landing accident, there is a real need to be 100 yards or more away from the aircraft within the next minute or two, tops. Getting out & getting away, right now, is absolutely essential for survival.

And drunks suck at doing that.
Professionally speaking, my bottom line on aircraft accidents & passengers:

When traveling by air, the odds of participating in an accident are very, very close to zero. BUT … If you draw that short straw, remember that the vast majority of accidents are almost completely survivable. An attitude of “my time’s up” or “there’s nothing I can do” is deciding in advance to die in a situation where it’s about 98% UNneccesary. But lots of people, including people sitting near you, have that attitude now & will carry it through that moment of truth too.

Know where the exits ahead & behind you are. Pay attention during the takeoff & first 30 seconds of flight. Likewise the last minute or so of flight through slowing to taxiing speed.

When the noise & motion stops, unbuckle, move quickly to an exit that’s not full of fire outside, and get out. Join the growing crowd outside & herd them & you away from the aircraft. Prompt, resolute action is required; stunned inaction, or a mad panicky rush, is not.

Contrary to Hollywood, almost all accidents are surprise events. The long dramatic buildup with the crew trying to lower the gear or whatever while the FA’s prep the cabin & everybody, both pax & crew, barely control their fear is pretty much pure Hollywood. When we have a problem which requires that big build-up, in almost all cases we land normally. The accidents happen on what was, until a few seconds ago, a completely normal flight.

Be alert, have a plan, and you too can be interviewed by CNN. Be clueless or fatalistic & your family can have the comfort of knowing which lump is you from your dental records. Choose now which path you prefer.

Wow! Some overall-encouraging advice. Thanks.

Further to LSLGuy’s great post, I vaguely remember reading that aircraft accident survivors tended to have given more attention to the safety briefings and had a personal plan of action as compared to the average passenger.

I saw footage once of a 747 which made an emergency landing. During the evacuation, the plane settled at the tail and raised the nose up in the air. This meant the forward slides were hanging down at a much steeper angle than they should have. Some people were injured while using them. I don’t recall if there was a slide deployed from the upper deck or not.

This is probably the flight: Pan Am 845

According to that, the plane made too long a takeoff roll, hit some lights at the end of the runway, and damaged some of the landing gear. (The 747 has four sets under the fuselage.) The damaged gear was furthest aft, and that was enough to make the plane settle on its tail after it stopped.

I’m with LSL Guy. I don’t fly often, but when I do, it is usually loooong haul (UK-NZ).

I always wear sturdy trainers on to the plane, and I always have them on my feet for takeoff and landing. If I am travelling with my family, I make them do the same.

All the time, I see people after landing putting shoes on, and I’m thinking - in a crash, you don’t have time to find shoes. Before you even bend down to grab them, me and mine are out of the plane and running. And while I would usually go with women and children first in most circumstances, it isn’t an option when tonnes of jet fuel are hanging in the air and pooling on the ground. If they can’t run fast, they won’t make it out the danger zone and sticking around to get them out of the plane makes you dead too.

Si

Thank you all for lots of interesting insights into air safety.

In my original question I was not thinking of fiery crashes but of the few instances where the likelihood of making a reasonably unscathed landing were pretty good.

Only one instance comes to mind, that was when the nose landing gear of a plane somehow skewed sideways on take off and the plane had to circle to dump fuel before returning to make a (safe) landing.

Why would I grab my shoes? All the little cards say your not supposed to wear them on the slide.

And I always read the little cards, listen to the FA, and locate the nearest exit, even though I firmly believe that if anything goes wrong with the plane, nothing will save me.

[And who bends down to grab their shoes? You just fish around with feet and slide them on. Unless, of course, the plane has just crashed.]

Are you sure they don’t just say not to wear high heels?

I have one in my hand right now that doesn’t even say that. The people in the pictures are even (sensibly) wearing shoes as they cheerfully evacuate.

Really? You can make out their feet in those little pictures?

I thought they used high heels in the icon just because they’re more easily identified than sensible loafers.

For a rare “Hollywood” style case, consider United Flight 232. For those who don’t remember this one, a DC-10’s tail engine disintegrated in mid-cruise, with the chunks rendering all three hydraulic systems inoperative; the cockpit crew (with the help of a DC-10 flight instructor who happened to be aboard as a passenger) managed to use differential engine thrust to nurse the plane to a fiery and violent crash-landing at Sioux City, Iowa, some 45 minutes after the initial engine failure. Of 296 people aboard, there were 111 fatalities, with 35 of those due to smoke inhalation. WRT the OP, if the passengers were all inebriated prior to touchdown, it seems likely that many more would have died from smoke inhalation (due to having trouble evacuating in a timely fashion).

For an even rarer “Hollywood” style case that’s unrelated to this thread (there was no crash) but was even more amazing, check out British Airways Flight 9.

So I was on a 737 out of SEA, sitting in first class. Plane taxis out to the end of the taxiway, turns onto the runway, and pilot throttles up. After about four seconds the engines return to idle. My eyes immediately go up out of my book, and I lock eyes with the flight attendant. As I am looking at her I’m reaching for the seat back to brace.
The plane turns on the first taxiway. During the turn is when the other people I could see woke up out of their fog and looked up. By the time they had looked up in my mind I had already gone over the door opening procedure and I was ready to get out of Dodge.
Turned out a switch (according to the pilot) had been left in the wrong position causing a warning horn on throttle up. (nice pre flight Cap’n)
We went back into line and got off the ground the second time.
Point is it isn’t that hard to pay attention to the engines, after all they aren’t silent.

Same with wings. Ask William Shatner.

Broken glass, torn metal, spilled hydraulic fluid, other people* …

The warning for the slide is for stilletto heels, not shoes in general. And I’m not waiting for the snappily dressed woman in the exit to get her Jimmy Choos off before I get off the deathtrap.

Si

*I’m kidding about the other people, by the way.

I will remain shod turing landings and take-offs in the future.
(But I’m still not putting my shoes on with my hands - that’s just weird.)

Another good reason to wear shoes if you want to be first out of the plane:

Death by stiletto: Woman ‘kills her boyfriend with spiked heel to the head’

Moses and Aaron on a stick.
She’s not just damned ugly, she’s damned mean looking.
Christ, I’d go out with R. Lee Emery before I’d go out with her.
Holy F-cking Shit, there are not enough expletives in the English language.
Blut und sheist! Su Madre! [Russian]F-ck your mother![/Russian]

For a middle aged woman with no make-up and a black-eye facing a fair trial followed by a first class hanging, she’s not that bad.

Oh, and

вступать в половую связь с матерью

My fonts support that, but I don’t speak or read Russian.
Thanks anyway,
I think…

Good thing.

Probably so. :slight_smile: