alcholism

You just haven’t been around enough. I’ve met absolute atheists. I’m not one of tthen, but they do exist.

One of the strangest encounters I have ever had was with an African Christian woman. She just couldn’t grok that I thought the idea of God was basically silly. Yeah, I acknowledged the logical possibility that God could exist, but how could someone actually believe this was obvious?

I used to be a type of alkie. I feel sure that it is not a disease (in the technical sense of the word - sure, you can say it is a disease of society). I feel sure that my genetic make-up had something to to with it - just like everything else in my life!
Of course, environment has something to to with it. If there was no booze around I would never had been an alkie. If I had been squashed dead by a motor-car before I drank my first drink…etc etc.

Jesus obviously liked the stuff, for it is said that he turned water to wine which considering the dire state of the world was a true tribute to alcohol.

Here’s the crutch: after this first drink, is it or is it not, a matter of willpower?

Something tells me he defined it when he made that announcement. Do you have a link?

Knock on my door, and you’ll have met one ten seconds later.

I’ve had a gun pointed at my face from four inches away, but praying never occurred to me. I talked myself out of the situation instead and escaped with my atheism unscathed.

I don’t think it would have occurred to me either. I am not saying an atheist can’t face death and remain an atheist.

I vounteered for hospice work, Dannion Brinkley, nationally known author and lecturer on near death experiences, asks all NDEers to do Hospice work. He has an organization called the CIA. Compassion In Action, so no one need die alone. I never encountered an atheist in a Hospice. Dannion was a covert agent involved in a lot of bad stuff until he got hit by lightening, literally, very interesting story.