Alec Baldwin [accidentally] Kills Crew Member with Prop Gun {2021-10-21}

CBS News’s story indicates that the incident occurred during the filming of a scene, though at this early point in the news, that may or may not be accurate.

Given that the two who were struck by the discharge were on the production team, not actors (and specifically the director and the director of photography), if it was, indeed, during the filming of a scene, I wonder if Baldwin was firing a gun (with blanks) in the direction of the camera, which also happened to be in the direction of the two of them.

This is what makes the most sense; except in the overwhelming majority of cases they would not stand in the line of fire, and if anyone did need to for some unusual reason, there would be bulletproof shields in place. So something less than typical had to have fallen short in the safety protocols.

If the cartridge doesn’t have a bullet then the packing wad wouldn’t carry any weight (literally) as a projectile. Maybe the barrel exploded and they were hit by shrapnel which would explain more than one person being hit.

I considered that too. I would’ve expected Alec Baldwin to be injured in that instance, though, and there’s been no mention of that.

If the barrel exploded then I would expect people at a right angle to the line of the barrel to be hit and not in front of or behind.

I hate Alec Baldwin and hope he does hard time in prison.

Interesting tid-bit.

In 1993, Brandon Lee, 28, son of the late martial-arts star Bruce Lee, died after being hit by a .44-caliber slug while filming a death scene for the movie “The Crow.″ The gun was supposed to have fired a blank, but an autopsy turned up a bullet lodged near his spine.

Without even know the details of how it happened?

I don’t need to know the details. He’s a scumbag.

Vic morrow was decapitated by a helicopter blade. And john landis was acquitted.

Yeah since they’re filming an old west movie, if they’re using a black powder style weapon I could see something like the barrel exploded causing shrapnel forward but not actually causing any rearward damage since the black powder isn’t as powerful as modern gun powder.

So you figure things like guilt or innocence are just unimportant details?

The important part was that he was charged for negligence.

He’s a fucking scumbag, but go ahead and defend him because he’s ‘on our side’

I doubt there’s a parent alive who hasn’t said stupid shit to their kids while enraged. Or posted stupid shit to a message board.

Has nothing to do with “sides”.

I’m seeing people on Twitter DEMAND they stop using “real” guns in films but that seems like a really knee-jerk reaction to a freak accident that happens so rarely the last time this happened was in the 90’s.

I never thought I’d read anything here like that “I don’t need to know the details. He’s a scumbag.” comment.

I posted my question for asahi directly to his Pit thread…

Moderating:

CS is not one of my forums, but you’ve been flagged repeatedly due to your thoughtless posts in this thread so I’m going ahead.

You’re not in P&E, and you’re not in the Pit. All of the above posts are off topic and wholly inappropriate.

I’m banning you from this thread. Make another post here and I’ll suspend you from the forum instead.

I’m leaving the flags for CS mods to review.

Good God – we’re not allowed to express opinions anymore?! What the fuck?! I didn’t violate any rules; I’m just not popular.

Fuck it - I get it. Enjoy your declining membership. Fuck you and go to hell.

I’m done.

While his language is a bit harsh he isnt wrong. Alec Baldwin has a very checkered past filled with rage and violence.