Alec Baldwin [accidentally] Kills Crew Member with Prop Gun {2021-10-21}

For what it’s worth, Variety is running with this report in griffin1977’s link above.

And with Furuhata Ninzaburo, the Japanese Columbo, using a sword in a period drama instead of firearms, though.

He might, though they have insurance for this type of legal situation. Whomever is actually in charge of the weapons in the movie is in massive trouble. It is catastrophic.

Nevermind

A person opens a package,which then detonates the bomb inside.

Is that package opener responsible for the deaths and damage?

The quote from him on set was, “Why was I handed a hot gun? In all my years, I’ve never been handed a hot gun.”

Does this mean a real bullet? Or a blank?

I know Alec is producing, but this is an INSANE mistake made by someone else.

I assume a real bullet, as I am pretty sure he’s fired a blank round before at some point in his career.

Dumb question: Why can’t it be standard practice to do a test-trigger-pull first, in a direction away from people, any time before the prop gun is then pointed at people in a scene?

Dumb question 2: Is the movie going to be canceled? Hard to imagine Baldwin continuing to carry on acting with the movie or it being released without audiences always thinking about this incident while watching Rust.

The first round isn’t necessarily the inadvertent live round.

Almost certainly yes, it’s going to be cancelled.

I’d say it is going to be cancelled. If it was some huge blockbuster (like the Crow, which was finished after Brandon Lee’s death) there would be pressure to finish it. But this is a low budget indie, I’d be really surprised if it carried on after the DP was killed on set (and if Alec Baldwin could be convinced to carry on)

Facts, who needs facts? We do, that’s who. I agree totally with your post.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Baldwin retired from acting.

I don’t know why a four-year old tweet is relevant except that a picture of Baldwin was taken immediately after the accident. He was doubled over as if in pain with his hands on his knees. He clearly appeared to be distraught.

I just wanna say that 42 seems way to old to be describing someone as “young”.

Getting insurance lined up is usually a dealbreaker for a movie actually being made, and many movies have been held up over settling insurance issues or even canceled due to inability to get insurance (for smaller films.) So it is highly unlikely the film doesn’t have standard and robust insurance for exactly this sort of catastrophe, which would likely protect the producers from having to pay out of pocket for damages.

If this is a western, he’d probably have a 6+ shooter and ,yes, one pull of the trigger wouldn’t rule out the other chambers having live rounds.

I see it a lot, the media now treats anyone under 45 as “young.” Which is weird, I didn’t feel young at 40. I also frankly didn’t feel young at 35 either. I feel like 35 is “neither old nor young” and 40 is “not young but not quite old” and it shifts towards “old” with each birthday.

Physically I definitely felt more mileage at 42 than I did at 35 or 25, no way I could have been confused for a genuinely young person when I was that age.

Calling someone a “middle woman” sounds weird though. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well it shows that if there is any conceivable way the local cops can pin something on Alec Baldwin about this, they will do. Not that I am too concerned of a miscarriage of justice seeing as this exact moment I’m sure he’s talking to literally the best lawyers money can buy about every single thing that happened during this movie (and as plenty of people have mentioned it would need to be something really messed up for him to have any criminal liability at all).