Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Cannot Afford to Move to Washington

I think it would be a nice salary, and if your spouse is also making a similar amount then you’re doing well here, but I wouldn’t call $174k massive here.

Missed the edit, but she will also have to maintain some kind of household in her district, so she will have households in two of the most expensive cities in the US.

Hell I live in Chicago (which a quick look online is about 30% less in living expense) and I would never describe $174K as “massive”.

OK, so put numbers on it. How much does it cost for a family dwelling in her district in New York, and for a one-room apartment in DC that’s conveniently close to either the Capitol or to public transit? Add those numbers together, convert to per-year if you haven’t already. How does that figure compare to $174,000?

And do you think the train is free? It’s not? It’s $79 each way. Sometimes more. That’s a commute that would cost at least $158 a day.

In what jobs is it normal to sleep at the job?

Military.

While there are certainly some jobs where it’s normal, who cares what’s normal? I want a citizen legislature, in which there are as few barriers as possible to participation for folks with small incomes. In fact, if representatives were required to live in taxpayer-funded dorms while Congress were in session, I’d probably be okay with that :).

Failing dorms, though, I’m 100% fine with folks living out of their offices, if that’s what it takes to remove barriers to working in the legislature. I said the same thing when some trifling Democratic fussbudgets were complaining about tea-party Republicans living out of their offices a couple years ago.

Now I’m picturing a camo business suit. Military personnel sometimes have duties which require them to camp out, but if they’re in any kind of semicivilized situation they’re not expected to sleep in their office, the shooting range or the guard station.

Doctors, firemen and other emergency personnel with very long shifts have beds on-site, but they’re for when on-duty: they’re not supposed to live there.

Wow! You can set standards, and threaten enforcement, all at one stroke! No wonder Chuck Norris calls you “Sir”.

I can’t speak to her district in NY, but I’d expect to pay about $2,500 for an English basement on Capitol Hill.

She is set for life. She can write a book or two and make millions. When she’s done with public service, she’ll make one hell of a lot more than $170k in the private sector.

I know it’s hard to believe, but there are some people who are trying to do the right thing and not just cash in.

In the part of her district that’s in my neighborhood, a 1 bedroom apartment would run $2000-$2500. I believe there are less expensive neighborhoods in her district but it’s still going to be $1500 minimum.

Doesn’t she still have to maintain the residence in her home state?

IMHO, it would be appropriate for the federal government to build apartments for Representatives and Senators - nothing fancy - that would be accessible via public transportation. Basically dorm rooms - but singles with private bathrooms.

And transition costs are campaign costs - if she didn’t spend all her money (and she shouldn’t have, hers was NOT a tight race) she should have plenty for an extended stay hotel in Alexandria for the next three months.

Why would she need a “family dwelling” in New York? I thought she was a young, single lady. Couldn’t she share an apartment with roommates like other young people do?

Partisanship aside, that sounds like a her problem. You take a job outside of your home state, understand that there will be no relocation expenses provided, and then complain that you cannot afford to relocate?

I guarantee that if I started a thread saying that I accepted a job several states away under the same circumstances, people would be unanimous in criticizing me for it.

I can’t read it as “complaining” so much as using it to illustrate her point about how the system is set up for those with the money and against representation of those of the working class. Her post noted that it was being worked out.

It’s her theme and she is going to highlight those things that show it.

A real problem, hers or otherwise, it was not.

I know it’s hard to believe but there’s a huge middle between an impoverished purist and a cash grabbing thief.