[QUOTE=you with the face]
And all of that is good and all, but I’m black and I have no problems being called black. No other black person that I know minds being called black, either. I honestly don’t know where the assumption came from that it’s wrong to call someone black.
[/QUOTE]
Exactly. I’ve been Black all my life (!) and have never heard someone of my skin tone say that they had a problem being called “Black.” Now I know people who prefer “African American,” and they’ll tell you that. But that does not mean you cause offense by calling them Black. It’s like meeting someone named Elizabeth. You might call her Elizabeth when you first meet her - that’s what her name is, after all - but once she tells you that she prefers Liz, you’d call her that. Now if you work with Liz every day, you’d be expected to retain that info. But if you’re meeting Liz at a cocktail party, if Liz is a reasonable person, she understands that you don’t know her preference, and you won’t retain it, either.
Nobody, and I mean nobody, I’ve ever known from Africa - Egyptians, Ethiopians, Kenyans, Ghanians, South African, Cameroonian (?) - has ever described themselves as “African American.” They actually have geographic nations and states that they claim. I have a friend who is from Cape Town - and while now, he also adds South Africa, I know that’s his most salient cultural identity (he refers to himself racially as “coloured,” btw). My Ghanian friends say they’re from Ghana. My Cape Verdean friends say that they’re from Cape Verde. I almost never hear the “American” part at the end, and I know a lot of these folks are citizens. Kids identify as being from a place, or having parents from a place, here in Boston. If you ask for Black kids you could get a number of kids who are not descended from slaves in the United States.
I know that some people wince a little with “Black,” and they tend to be a little color-struck. I have a really dark skinned friend who doesn’t like Black a lot because it was used against him in a pejorative way as a kid. But if you called him Black he wouldn’t get offended; that’s just something you would learn as you got to know him.
I’ve made this explanation before, but in a nutshell the term “African American” comes from the time of Marcus Garvey, who tried to reconnect Black Americans - in honesty, Black people worldwide - with a pride and knowledge of African history and culture. (You could also argue that Carter G. Woodson and W.E.B. Du Bois were in on this effort years later, but they clearly emphasized the experience of the Negro in America over his forbears.)
Politically, colored and negro lost favor in the early 60s, and Black people selected terms to define themselves. By the late 60s a strong cultural identity was reclaimed with the adoption of the term “African American,” a celebration of African cultural images (Afros, African names, African dance and music, styles like dashikis, and so on). But these were a hodgepodge of cultural themes from different regions of Africa, because the average Black American could not accurately trace his or her roots to a geographic site. (Alex Haley was a writer and researcher - his knowledge of his roots is a very rare thing among Black folks. I personally know of no Black American that has traced their roots back further than a few decades before the Civil War.) So a hybrid culture emerged.
Think of things like Kwanzaa and some popular African American names: you won’t find those traditions in any individual country or cultural group in Africa, but you can see where those traditions borrowed from. When you think about African Americans, there are very few groups - the Gulee, for instance - who know their culture and lineage from Africa well enough to trace it back. Most of us are a mixture of African nations. Many of us are proud of that heritage, and want to politically claim our successes as linked to the continent of Africa, which is regarded as backward and “dark” by many people, so we use African American. Plus it would be dumb to claim to be Ghanian, when in fact your family line, once traced, comes from Benin. African American is simultaneously precise, but also indicates the tragedy of losing the direct knowledge of our individual histories.
This is something that I think a lot of people don’t understand. It’s painful to me to know that my ancestors were not only abducted and beaten coming to America, but also that the traditions and histories that are part of my heritage are likely lost forever. No matter how much money I get, I will likely run into a dead end at some point. Not that it bugs me every day, but I remember being in fourth grade and hearing kids talking about their heritage during Genealogy Day, and realizing that though my last name sounds English, it’s pretty likely that my forbears did not majoritively emerge from the West Midlands. I don’t wish to get into a comparison match here. This is likely true of a lot of Whites as well, but there’s an intentionality about having that link severed that really is very sad and tragic. IMO.
African American has a distinct cultural and political meaning, and to suggest that Charlize Theron or Dave Matthews have the same understanding as Black Americans descended from African slaves do is ridiculous (and slanderous, as I have never heard either of them make this claim). But we don’t all have the same understanding of all phenomena. Today, in responding to a (Black) panhandler, Skip Gates said to the guy, Ask HH, he’s a rich negro." Now I know Gates uses that term affectionately. But other folks might have a real problem if they referred to Black folks as negroes! (I guess that’s a side benefit of being a public intellectual - people know your quirks a little!)