[QUOTE=Mtgman]
More than most people realize. Consider only throwing away those parts of your meal’s packaging which are not recyclable. If you get a hamburger in a cardboard box and there is not a bunch of condiments/sauce/grease all over the box, consider wiping it out with a napkin and then breaking it down and taking it home to recycle. People look at me weird for carrying my recyclables out of a fast food place, but those of us in the US have a very long road to travel to get to carbon neutral and I feel some social weirdness is an acceptable price to pay to get further towards that goal. At very least break down and fold flat all items you are placing in the trash. This keeps the trash cans from filling up as fast with mostly empty space.
Recycle is the third “r” in the three r’s mantra of “Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle” because it is the least preferable of the three. If you regularly eat salads at fast food places, consider getting your own place setting to keep in the car, perhaps in a draw-string bag, you can take in with you. Stainless steel can be washed in the resturant bathroom after your meal and will take just a few seconds, or you can wrap it in a napkin to take it home and put it in the dishwasher and re-fill your bag with a clean set from the drawer. This re-use of durable silverware reduces your need for disposable silverware(often made of non-recyclable plastics). If you take the food back to the office, just set the recyclable trash aside so you can take it home at the end of the day. Most fast food boxes, from fries to fish, are made of paperboard or corrugated cardboard and are recyclable in many areas.
Vote with your wallet. Investigate which resturaunts in your area support environmentally friendly initiatives(everything from using recycled materials to automatic faucets/toilets in the bathrooms). Patronize those over less environmentally conscious resturaunts. If a shop which orders their take-out bags from a factory which makes paper bags with post-consumer(recycled) paper makes more orders the factory’s demands for paper from municipal recycling programs will go up and the cities will see the programs are working. It’s a virtuous spiral which all revolves around you and your daily choices. If you bring your own silverware they will reduce their orders for plastic silverware, which is often non-recyclable and uses non-renewable resources to make.
Think globablly, act locally. It’s one of the wisest buzz-phrases I’ve ever heard.
Enjoy,
Steven
[/QUOTE]
These days, when I tend to eat at a “fast food” restaurant, it’ll be one that has reusable containers for foods and other things. (i.e. Panera Bread will serve me soup, sandwich, salad, etc. on a washable plate/in a washable bowl that’s served on a washable plastic tray with metal silverware, and the only disposable parts of my meal are napkins, the tray liner, and the drink container. I bus my own table, and the stuff gets washed and reused.) This may create waste via dirty water, but it’s certainly not contributing as quickly to landfills.
Another thing that my family does is we reuse a lot of glass and plastic containers from items bought at the grocery store. Those Pom Tea containers are great water glasses, and the various jars and plastic tubs that things come in are great for storing leftovers and small parts. (Nuts, bolts, beads, sewing notions, and other things are pretty commonly stored in these types of containers in my house. Why not reuse what is essentially “free” container storage once you use up the contents?) We also have a lot of cleaning rags that we use for things that would normally take up a ridiculous amount of paper towels, but not many rags.
When I don’t need a bag, I don’t take one, and when I’m able to, I use my own bags for shopping. If I had a back yard, I’d probably build a composter, as I enjoy gardening and it’d cut down on my fertilizer and potting soil costs in the long run. Little bits help, but a lot of them take a little extra effort, and some of them may not be cost effective in the long run.