All-time coolest SF vehicle ever?

X-Wing gets my vote. Followed by the Millenium Falcon.

I’ve never heard of the TARDIS or Gay Deciever.

Merriam-Webster Online definition of “vehicle.” Definition 4

Even if it doesn’t travel along Line AB, the TARDIS will transport it’s occupants from point A to point B. I’d say it counts.

My vote for Gay Deceiver too. Among other things, she’s the only vessel mentioned with the capacity to take you to a timeline where you own any of the others. :slight_smile:

Besides, Ozma would no doubt fit her with a pipe organ too, if desired! :wink:

Nothing to apologize for; as a novel, MOTW sucked ass. I just like the machinery.

The Falcon’s not a Pacer. More like an old van, with a rusted body… and a rebuilt frame and racer engine.

Also, she’s bigger on the inside than the outside (which was one of the advantages stated of the TARDIS). Plus, since she’s sentient, piloting her should be easier. I was going to suggest the Defiant from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine over the Enterprise, but the Star Trek ships require a lot of technical knowledge to pilot.

If I can’t have the Tardis, give me the time-hopping motorcycle Ace acquired late in the run of the Doctor Who New Adventures novels. If just the words “time-hopping motorcycle” don’t make you think “Cool!” you may need to rethink your understanding of the concept of coolness.

They paddlewheeled in water, and I could have sworn if the vehicle was going fast enough, they’d rotate if the smaller wheels encountered any resistance. They could lock the main axle for the ability for it to keep mobile with two of the three smaller wheels out of commission. It was a pretty cool concept.

That thing captured my imagination when I saw it (edited for Tee Vee) even with the editing and cheesy special effects, it scared the crap outta me. It’s sad that it occasionally shows up in pictures as a dusty, disused piece of scrap. I never remember WHERE I see it, only that I’ve seen it two or three times over the years (Chuck Barris stuff? Mythbusters segments? Custom Hollywood vehicles, I forget.)

Some of us oldsters have emotional scars from the motorcycles in Galactica 1980.
(Visual Effects Model Maker - Battlestar Galactica / Galactica 1980 - Flying Motorcycles, Picture Vehicle)

In the new series shown this past year on the Sci-Fi channel in the USA, there was at least one scene of the TARDIS hurtling through space. Is this something new? I only watch the Tom Baker Doctor before this year and that was in the Seventies.

TARDIS is the Time machine/ship of The Doctor from the Doctor Who series.
Gay Deceiver was a sentient car that traveled through time in 3 Heinlein novels - Number of the Beast, To Sail Beyond the Sunset, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. She was the 5th major character in Number of the Beast.

Jim

The TARDIS is from the BBC show Doctor Who. It’s cooler for what it does than how it looks.

I can’t imagine a vehicle called a Gay Deceiver being all that cool. Fabulous maybe, but not cool.

He stole it from a museum. That increases its Coolness Quotient exponentially.

Gay Deceiver was an old term for Bra stuffings. As in a happy deceit.

Here is a decent cached link from Google: http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:Dtay0jwc-ncJ:www.gaydeceiver.com/what.html+Gay+Deceiver&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Jim

Two vehicles rock my world: the mech/motorcycles called the “Cyclones” in Robotech. Nothing better than a motorcycle that transforms into personal battle armor with enough weaponry to take out a city.

T’other is the flying time-travelling steam-powered train from Back to the Future 3. That is one bad-ass piece of machinery.

I don’t know how they rank, cool-wise, but the first thing that came to mind was the Heechee Shuttle/Pod vehicles that were featured in Frederick Pohl’s Gateway.

The Tardis is an obvious choice, but Bessie is reall the Doctor’s coolest vehicle.

Shouldn’t that be a Hetero Deceiver? :smiley:

So, I guess you were wondering what the Flintstones were up to when they were having there “Gay old Time”. :wink:

Some I like :

The Michael, also known as the Archangel, from Footfall. Called such because Michael cast the Devil out of Heaven, it was made to defeat the invading aliens in Earth orbit. I like it as the ultimate, desperate brute force warship. Powered by an Orion nuclear bomb drive, it’s battleship sized and armed with everything they could think of. Weaponized Space Shuttles, battleship guns with rocket drives and a pilot, bomb pumped lasers, etc.

For sheer evil lookingness, I love the Shadow ships from Babylon 5. They just looked evil.

For sheer impressiveness, there’s Taa II, Galactus’s solar system sized home. In Secret Wars it showed up under it’s own power, so it qualifies as a vehicle.

For cool land vehicles, I nominate the Bolos. Gigantic tanks, megaton per second firepower, and AI brains programmed to be the ultimate Knight in Shining Armor, dedicated to humanity’s defense.

For generalized coolness, I like Dahak from David Weber’s Empire from the Ashes series. Impressive ? It’s the size of the Moon; in fact, it is the Moon; the outer rock surface is camouflage. Fun ? It’s got everything you would ever need for the occassional voyage of a few centuries, from living quarters to parks, not to mention 100,000 + people, by design. Armed ? Yes, as in “basically, this ship could vaporise your planet”.

I nominate the speeder bikes from Empire Strikes Back.

They apparently can’t steer for shit but you look way cool just before you plow into a redwood. And explode.

The rotorcraft in The Incredibles had the same design flaw.