Am I nationalist?

This may help you decide.

I can’t make any sense of this.

If you’re trying to say that Democrats are trying to make this country into Venezuela, that’s just a stupid right-wing Trumpian lie that has no basis in reality.

If you are concerned that the government is closer to being a corrupt Latin American style dictatorship than it ever has been, I agree. But dude, that threat’s coming from inside the house.

Sometimes the best thing that a country can do for itself is to help its neighbors. It’s actually pretty stupid to put ever-increasing amounts of money into catching and detaining and deporting illegal Mexican immigrants while enacting policies that hurt Mexico economically, increasing the flow of illegal immigrants. I think one of the most effective ways to combat illegal immigration is to make Mexico and Central America a better place to live.

I think that there is an element in this country that confuses bullying with strength. Bullying is actually a sign of weakness and poor moral character. There are solutions to be found that are rooted in kindness if we are strong and moral enough. And I’d like to see my country stop moving away from that ideal

Various right-wing organisations in this country blame immigrants for just about everything, from overstretched A&E departments to unemployment. They believe what they say, but the facts do not support them.

Of course, the whole thing is hugely complicated, but the evidence does point to immigration being a generally Good Thing. Immigrants have already invested a great deal of time, effort and money to migrate and they tend to be young and hard-working. In fact there are many trades that depend on imported labour to survive.

George Orwell had some thoughts on nationalism:

From George Orwell’s Notes on Nationalism

I dunno, do you desire power? Do you label millions “good” or “bad” based on the country they were born in? I suspect you don’t! :wink:

You are aware than 18 US states currently have no absolute minimum age requirement for children to get married, right? If the girl’s pregnant or a judge and the child’s parents agree, the normal age limits can be waived. And that’s not just an irrelevant loophole no-one’s bothered with because no-one’s using it, 6 12 year old children have married, legally, in the US, since 2000.

I’d check you actually have moral high ground before claiming it…

Many cities in the Midwest are initiating programs to attract immigrants in order to bolster their economies, especially in urban cores which are dying. Trump’s self-serving propaganda, mindlessly aped by his toadies, is contradicted by the facts;

This is an underappreciated factor in this debate. Unlike most of the countries that are having big problems with immigrants, in the US (and Canada, btw), immigrants are not only accepted, they’re welcomed, and encouraged to become full members of our society. In the US and Canada, you can move here, and learn to be American or Canadian. Lots of other countries, even fairly enlightened ones in some cases, don’t make that possible. You might be born in France, and live there your whole life, but you’ll never really be French.

The French are a deeply insecure people, probably because they have been invaded so much. Twenty Eight miles from France, in England, the idea of the ‘nation’ is rather different, probably because it is an island.

England is a Mongrel nation.

Formed out of ancient Celts, Romans, Saxons, Angles, Vikings, Normans and many others since that have washed up on these shores since the ice age.

Here is Eddie Izzard, trying to explain how it came to be.

Travel to other countries and you soon learn to appreciate the good and bad about the country of your birth. No nation has all the answers. The nation state is a deeply flawed concept. Be proud of the good things, but don't ignore or try to justify all the bad stuff because of a misplaced sense of pride.

I think the Nationals may fare better next season, but only if they keep Harper.

Nationalist = Nazi. There’s really no debate about that among normal people. It is not at all the same as patriot.

EDIT: Just this moment heard someone on the news calling nationalism a perversion of patriotism. That’s a good summing up.