Amazing Kelvin-Helmholtz waves over Birmingham

Awesome shot! I had no idea that phenomenon was possible.

Now, as near as I can figure, those clouds must be virtually overhead of this guy here!. I don’t know why I thought of that.

Bad freakin’ ass! That looks almost apocalyptic. Appreciate you sharing it here.

Ogre, this is an awesome photo! Have you tried submitting it to the local tv stations? I know that the weather guys at WSFA here in Montgomery would have a fit over something like this. They’d probably put it on the air, too.

There’s a video on Dan Satterfield’s blog (local weather celebrity):
http://blogs.agu.org/wildwildscience/2011/12/17/magic-clouds-in-the-magic-city/

Well, I posted too late. I saw the local 5:00 pm news today and the weather guy aired a photo taken from somebody else who saw it at Birmingham airport. He did at least pronounce Kelvin-Helmholtz correctly and explained what it was and how it formed, so I was impressed. :smiley:

So now I say send it to Brian Williams…

It looked like several breaking waves on the ocean, imagine if those were real water waves; perfect for surfing.

Pretty awesome stuff!

More coverage:

thats cool!
you need to put that up on weather underground!

:slight_smile: Maybe we’ll work “Wipeout” into our next set somehow.

Clothilde: No, I haven’t submitted it to any local weather folks. It’s actually gained some steam in the local press (and abroad) since it’s such a very, very rare occurrence. Most of the local guys have pages up and people have now sent in hundreds of shots of the event.

Eleanor: Now, that’s a cool page, and a great illustrative video of how the phenomenon works. Thank you!

Robot Arm: Wow. It really has picked up steam (although I can’t help but notice the amount of religious and semi-religious hysteria it has stirred up in some people. Weird.)

The Daily Wh.at has a few more pictures, and a video.

Yeah, all the photos and vids I’ve seen so far were lifted from the original weather blog I mentioned earlier.

Also, I’m not going to pitch an internet-wide fit about this or anything (and I’ve spoken to him about it), but the meteorologist posting under the name zensunnioracle has a slight inaccuracy in his description of the process.

Normally, he would be exactly right, but the conditions last Friday were just a bit abnormal. In this case, the moisture was already condensed in the form of a dense fog on the mountain, so there was no condensation upon uplift. I really wish I had thought to stop and film the process from the beginning, because I watched it happen, and it was fascinating. You could actually see the fog start to destabilize, start tossing a bit like water, then begin to form into peaks, and finally to lift up to the level of the wind shear and roll over.

Great photo. I’m reminded of the drowning of Numenor…

Nice description. Thanks for sharing this. Amazing is the right adjective.