Amazingly Similar Movies that Premiered Within Weeks of Each Other

It’s hard for me to say which of those were worse.

Steven Speilberg’s War of the Worlds. (June 2005)

David Latt’s H.G. Wells’ War of the Worlds. (June 2005)

The 13th floor.
Dark City.
The Matrix.

Prefontaine and Without Limits - both about cross-country runner Steve Prefontaine, both released within a year of each other, both equally underwhelming at the box office.

An eight month period of 1987/1988 saw 4 adult/child body-switching movies.
“Like Father, Like Son”, “Vice-Versa”, “18 Again”, and “Big”. Suprisingly, nobody did a direct remake of “Freaky Friday” at the time.

Also eXistenZ

Baz Luhrman made an aborted effort to film his own Alexander the Great biopic at the same time that Oliver Stone was making Alexander. The spirit of Alexandros Megalos can only be greatful that the world had to endure but one really awful rendition of his life at a time.

Entrapment and The Thomas Crown Affair

There were almost three of those flicks that summer, the folks that did ‘Godzilla’ were going to do comet/asteroid flick originally but changed their minds. Kind of a “damned if you, damned if you don’t” situation, I guess.

There is an Alexander Project in development, but I can’t figure if it’s documentary or movie. (If the latter it only seems to have one actor.)

Such a pity that so far the best telling of his story remains a BBC documentary or that eccentric anime retelling.

Braveheart and Rob Roy were released fairly close together, weren’t they?

Braveheart and Rob Roy are set several hundred years apart. They are both set in Scotland, but I don’t see them as being all that similar.

Hey, they both had men in kilts. Sometimes, that’s really all I need. :stuck_out_tongue:

The film adaptations of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s/Sorceror’s Stone and The Fellowship of the Ring were released within two months of each other in late 2001. Both made massive amounts of money.

Don’t forget Leviathan the same year.

[QUOTE=CalMeacham]
and don’t forget Leviathan and the novel “Sphere” (although the movie came much later). It was an undersea monster free-for-all, with only The Abyss being any good.[/QUOTE
:smack: this is what happens when I don’t taske the time to fully read the thread :smack: again (for luck).

Well, heck if “within weeks” can be stretched to 9 months, then we might as well include Fail-Safe and Dr. Strangelove, both in 1964.

How about pretty much every war film made from 1942 through 1945? :smiley:

“Two-Minute Warning” in late 1976 and “Black Sunday” in early 1977.

“The Sixth Sense” and “Stir of Echoes” were released close to each other. They had the general theme of the supernatural/ghosts. TSS, IMHO, really hurt SoE’s box office take.